Santa Claus Conquers the Martians - Terrible Christmas movie is now cult classic campy theater

9 Likes

Oh. That. Is. Marvellous!

8 Likes

Tastefully updated in 90s pastels, I see. Cue the Martha Stewart jokes.

6 Likes

Love it!

4 Likes

:notes: “Every Christmas has a Martian
Meant for riffing, and camp stage plays…”
:notes:

4 Likes

I’m still avoiding crowds like… the plague…

But, I really want to go see this, buy three tickets, and wear my red jumpsuit… would just need two bots for the other two seats… :thinking:

4 Likes

This movies is one of the ones my family had on VHS before MST3K was even a thing. Gorgo was another. I don’t think Santa v Mars is really a bad movie, especially compared to what we are normally given for Santa movies.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but you’re just wrong. I mean, it’s fine to enjoy a bad movie, and many of us do enjoy Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, but there are so many reasons it is a terrible movie compared to plenty of Santa movies. It makes Ernest Saves Christmas look like It’s a Wonderful Life. It makes The Santa Clause seem robbed of a best picture Oscar. At least those two films were made by people who understood basic filmmaking concepts like properly framing a shot.

This is not how you frame or light a movie shot. This is how you block and light a community theater stage production.

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians has absolutely absurd dialogue, a silly plot, horrible acting, ridiculous sets and costumes, terrible editing, and looks like it was shot by a ‘anyone can make a movie’ Hal Warren Manos type. And that’s what makes it so much fun.

2 Likes

I will say that most of the actors are trying hard to sell it. The awful writing and direction isn’t their fault.

1 Like

They’re trying hard, but most of them are just not very talented. Again, mostly community theater level. I’ve seen very good performances in community theater productions, but not feature film-worthy performances in general.

1 Like

Y’know what else I think might work better as a stage play? That thing where the Prince Of Denmark has it out with the Rich Corinthian Leather guy.

1 Like

And that was also more competently-made than Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. Weird, and very, very German, but made by people who understood filmmaking.