Santo Cinematic Universe

I know there are a bunch of Santo movies, but are they canonically interlinked like the Marvel movies or are they more like Abbott and Costello movies where it’s the same actors but the stories aren’t connected?

Were the scientists unimpressed by the past life time machine tilt-a-whirl because they’d already come out three weeks prior to see Santo’s robot butler or moon rocket or something?

Is there a Santo continuity?

6 Likes

Is there a Santo continuity?

If not, I prefer to pretend there’s just a multiverse of different Santos - thus giving us the hope of a Crisis of Infinite Santos event…

13 Likes

I’d watch that in a heartbeat.

Santo: into the Santoverse

10 Likes

Santo: Far from The Ring

7 Likes

He’s already built a time machine. It’s probably trivial for him to build a machine which crosses over to other Santo worlds.

6 Likes

The other Santos are past lives he can jump into

8 Likes

I wonder what Bizzaro World Santos is like…

7 Likes

You’ve seen it. Perico IS the Bizzaro Santos.

7 Likes

Grasp if you will a room of Santos singing “We Are The World!” I’d pay to see that.

2 Likes

Santo is within all of us.

3 Likes

There’s even less continuity in the Santo movies than there is in the James Bond movies. Occasionally there’s a little continuity if you squint really hard, like the same actor playing Dracula in both Tesoro de Dracula and Santo y Blue Demon vs. Dracula y El Hombre Lobo, but basically no.

Also, unlike James Bond, Santo’s movies weren’t all made by the same production company, and there are differences in general approach. In the Cinematográfica Calderón S.A. movies like this one, Santo is a very public hero of Mexico, with a very public persona (and no “secret identity” or even a hint of one.)

In some others, he’s more mysterious, like the Lone Ranger (“Who was that masked man?”), and nobody really knows what he does when he’s not in the ring or fighting evil.

Some of the very earliest Santo movies are particular curiosities in that they seem to have the “Adventures of Superman” TV series as their basic template, which can be a little awkward because there’s no Clark Kent. Most of the plot is driven by a detective or reporter type guy, with Santo out of the picture until there’s a big action scene, after which he again goes away for a while. It’s almost as if Santo is the secret identity of the detective/reporter guy, but he clearly isn’t (and they do have scenes together, etc.)

It’s like it took them a while to get comfortable with the movie persona of Santo as a hero who does regular-guy stuff too, but never without the mask.

3 Likes

Maybe it wasn’t Santo. Maybe it was the Santos we met along the way.

2 Likes

He was very special to the kids around the world

4 Likes

Seeing it would be fine, but I’d bring earplugs if that’s the song they’re performing

4 Likes

@Stacy_Boyette LOL!!! AGREED!!! AGREED!!! EARPLUGS are a must with that song. I can’t handle it. They burned me out as a child. The Santos singing it appealed to me for some reason. Perhaps the MSTie part of me.

3 Likes