Sci-Fi Channel's Insisted Story and Conditions

Okay, but that’s a reason why that host segment was good… which is what I was saying.

1 Like

Well - keep in mind I’m scaling the S7 segments against other seasons. I’d still say most of even the S7 host segments are “good” in relationship to other TV offerings, but when scaled against other better season segments they’re not AS good. So still good (mostly) but the show has had better. All relative, I suppose.

2 Likes

I very much agree, those were hilarious. I’m on the fence about the season 7 arc. It was a little disturbing to see Dr. F get browbeaten by Pearl, but it was also really funny and well executed. I guess ultimately I’m fine with it, but if it had gone on for an additional full season it might have been for the worse.

4 Likes

Here’s how I rank the host/Mads combos and their host segments:

Joel/Dr. F & Frank
Mike/Dr.F & Frank
Jonah/Kinga & Max
Mike/Pearl & her flunkies
Mike/Dr. F & Pearl

That doesn’t mean I dislike any of the combos on the whole - I just like some better than others.
To each their own.

2 Likes

Fair enough and I generally agree with your prioritization.

1 Like

I adore Season 8.

I only watch MST3K in chronological order anyway, so whenever I get to Season 8 on my annual rewatch, I’m always amazed at their Douglas Adams’ level of brilliance coming up with that story arc.

TAKE THAT SciFi Channel CORPORATE GOONS. (Oh yeah I guess that kinda means you were right…)

3 Likes

I think people are talking about two different things here-

1. Should the Sci-Fi channel have mandated the story arc?

and

1. Did they do a good job with what they were made to do?

I think 2 is a yes and 1 is a no. I would like to have seen what they would have come up with without executive interference.

7 Likes

They hadn’t unlocked Pearl in Season 7. Once Trace walked off, Pearl inherited center stage and the rest is history.

1 Like

You and I align. They weaved gold out of straw. All the same, I’m intrigued by what they conceive having no limits. We’ll never know.

1 Like

I think, of the story arcs in the SciFi years, the Roman Times arc was the weakest but other than that, I really enjoyed it. Plus, I never saw it when it originally aired. I tracked down the episodes myself online years later. And I didn’t really find it confusing to follow. I just enjoyed what I saw. Now, my very first episode, seen in a vacuum of not knowing what was going on or what I was even watching, that was confusing, but I still enjoyed it so much that I remembered it ten years later.

So I liked it.

1 Like

I feel like the sci-fi-era host segments have too much of a plot line instead of the relaxing host segments in season 1 to 6 with the letters, invention exchanges, and reenacting some of the shorts and movies. If you ask me, seasons 1 to 6 are the show’s golden years.

4 Likes

I totally agree, and I would put this past season up there with 1-6.

1 Like

which past season?

1 Like

1 Like

It’s part of the new series, My mom doesn’t prefer season 7 to 10, even the new series because she looks up to Frank and Trace so much. No wonder why the first ix seasons were so good.

1 Like

I’m completely with you there. The original series suffered greatly when Frank and Trace left. I still liked the show after they left, but not as much.

3 Likes

I’m gonna forever miss those two, especially Gypsy’s old voice through those first six seasons too.

2 Likes

Well, the gang did go back to 1991 at the end of the season. Maybe nothing’s impossible.

1 Like

It was difficult to make sense of anything until I finally had a chance to watch them in order a few years ago. I missed a lot of the scifi seasons when they first ran.

1 Like

If the plot was suitably weird (like the wormhole episode that we saw in PRINCE OF SPACE, the alien children, Mike at Cosmic Court) I didn’t mind.

If it was more “Well, we have to do something!” like the Roman Times eps…not so much.

3 Likes