Scifi Lore

So I’ve been watching a lot of scifi recently, and may have been drinking… but

Android.
Droid.
Robot.
Synth.
Replicant.

Do we need a rule book for scifi lore? There are definitive examples for all of those.

I feel like this is getting into wizards, magician, sorcerer territory. Where’s my DnD book?

3 Likes

…personally I want to role a terminator with max charisma

1 Like

I think Lucas holds a copyright on the word ‘droid’ so everyone else had to come up with another word.

2 Likes

If robot was at the top those might be in chronological order. I’m not sure if the bottom two need to be swapped.

If we want to be smarty pants about it, the guy that invented the word robot used it to describe what we now call androids.

4 Likes

Can they all exist at once on screen or are you saying the noun for the object has changed?

To me, an android is a d00d trying to be a toaster, and a synth is a toaster trying to be a d00d

1 Like

d00d + toaster parts = cyborg

3 Likes

Oh no, and how do HAL and Cortona play into this!?

1 Like

Android: Mechanical being, designed to look like a “human male”. (C-3PO)
Gynoid: Mechanical being, designed to look like a “human female”. (Maria)
Droid: Mechanical being, doesn’t look human (R2-D2)
Robot: Simple machine, designed to repeat a small number of tasks (Your toaster).
Synth: Synthetic human but designed and built from components: (Bishop)
Replicant: Vat-grown human with custom wetware and adaptive artificial intelligence (Batty)
Cyborg: A human being with “Machine” parts (Tony Stark)

HAL and Cortona are Artificially Intelligent computers, not any of the above.

5 Likes

Didn’t Bishop define himself as an android? aren’t the replicants in Bladerunner developed in vats? C-3p0 is called a droid in Star Wars, but Lando’s friend IS an android.

I also want to drop ‘Cyborg’ on the list

1 Like

A cyborg is part mechanical and part biological.

George Lucas invented “droid” as a slang shortening of “android” but used it incorrectly. “Android” means a robot that looks at least generally human, so it shouldn’t apply to R2D2 and other non-humaniform robots.

2 Likes

A lot of these can be used as synonyms, Bishop is a Synthetic Human, but also an android as he’s entirely artificial and shaped to be presented as a “Human Male”.

The Star Wars “Droid” is an in-universe slang, the separation of “Droid” and “Robot” is sort of vague, but in Star Wars a “Droid” has personality, while a “Robot” is just a machine.

I included cyborg and Replicant (Specifically naming a character from the film as an example) on the list already.

4 Likes

Not sure when Lucas invented a word

1 Like

And I get that these are all words that can be swapped, but just like wizards, magicians, and sorcerers… bots, droids, and synths can all appear on screen at once. So not -completely- interchangeable.

2 Likes

When you watch films, do you get confused when there are different looking characters with different names on screen?

If you see a film with a “Brian” in it, and there’s a different “Brian” in another movie, do you think that’s weird?

That might be more of the issue.

There is no 100% agreed definition for these terms, a film can be set in the 1300’s and make a mechanical woman and call it a Cyborg if they want to, they’d be wrong but they can do it.

Transformers, who are FAMOUSLY “Robots in disguise”, aren’t actually robots in the strict definition of the term, for example.

2 Likes

Wow, sharp!
Yeah, I guess I do. You win.

1 Like

Actually, I was trying to have a fun conversation about the 50 different ways to say “robot”. But I forgot this was a forum on the internet and nobody has fun on forums. Thanks.

1 Like

Bidibidbidi this got too real, Buck.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen Buck Rogers in the 25th Century for probably… 20 years, and I had truly forgotten how… distinctively shaped Twiki’s “Helmet” was.

The 70’s just… loved dongs and medallions!

3 Likes

Yeah, well I didn’t realize challenging the definition of a word would put sand right down people’s panties <_<

2 Likes

I’ll just drop this here:

Drone

Runs away… … … … … … … … … … … .

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

This forum software has some weird quirks to it, more than 3 periods are ignored.

3 Likes