SCTV references?

Just watching “The Girl in Gold Boots” and when Observer brandishes the movie, back and forth at the camera, I am prepared to swear on a stack of Leonard Maltin guides that he’s pulling a Bruno from the Dr. Tongue movies.

Any other SCTV references out there? Can’t think of any at the mo.

6 Likes

That does seem to be an “SCTV 3D” moment. They do mention some SCTV alumni by name in riffs (Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin, etc), and I think there’s a point where a riff references the Schmenge Brothers, the SCTV polka band famous for such tunes as Cabbage Rolls and Coffee.

5 Likes

There’s a Count Floyd reference in Alien from L.A., I believe. I’m sure there are others—The Mads still make the occasional Farm Film Report & Celebrity Blow-Up reference.

4 Likes

Ah, and I believe there’s a scene with something flying out a window to the riff “SCTV is on the air!”. This is a reference to the show’s opening with a TV being thrown out a window.

5 Likes

That’s in Danger! Death Ray:

6 Likes

Project Moonbase:

4 Likes

in Star Force they reference 5 Neat Guys and do a “Take off hoser”

Hobgoblins has a riff about Mel’s Rockpile.

4 Likes

There are several Ed Grimley references in Space Mutiny.

3 Likes

One of the last The Mads livestreams, there was a Q and A after in which Frank and Trace were asked about comedy influences, one of the first mentioned was SCTV. So it’s confirmed that at least 2 of them are fans like us!

A hoser in Whurwilf:

Oh, I’d be shocked if any of the season K-10 Brains aren’t huge SCTV fans. And the newer crew seem pretty well-rounded comedy-wise, so I imagine they probably are also.

1 Like

I was thinking about The Schmenge Brothers the other day! SCTV was a brilliant series…

1 Like

To this day I’ll catch myself singing Cabbage Rolls and Coffee, decades after I first saw it in an episode. And you are right, there was so much to like about that series.

Another skit that really stuck with me over time is the commercial for Poochare.

2 Likes

It’s a beauty way to go.

(Attack of the The Eye Creatures)

2 Likes