Season 1 Movies That You Think Need A Re-Do.

In the recent years, both with Rifftrax as well as the riff-along and the Turkey Day this past year, we have seen a bit of movies in the past getting re-riffed with new jokes and thus new ideas (and in the case of the riff-along of Moon Zero Two, a more modern perspective). Well, I say that, but then there’s also the times they took the Sandy Frank Productions movies they did in KTMA and re-did them in Season 3.

With that thought in mind, and with Season 1 being looked back on by the cast of the time as the weaker one (mostly in regards to the big space between riffs), which movies of Season 1 do you think could be re-done, either MST3K style or Rifftrax style.

I saw it mentioned somewhere before on a list ranking every MST episode from worst to best something that I think I may have to agree with: had “Robot Monster” been done later in the series, with different shorts replacing the Commando Cody episodes that they had, it probably would be remembered as one of the all time great episodes of the show alongside things like “Manos”, “Final Sacrifice” and others.

2 Likes

I enjoy most of these as-is, the way one does as a hardcore fan who likes going back and seeing the foundations before the whole house was built. I’d go all out and beg for something from “Season 0” to be redone: providing they could still get the rights.

1 Like

Probably would be easier in some cases for those Season 0 movies that haven’t been done on the regular run. I’m sure there’s a handful of them that have fallen into public domain by now. Then again movie rights are a tricky issue so…

3 Likes

In this scenario, two titles come to mind.

The Robot Vs. the Aztec Mummy has some of the sparest riffing in the show’s national era (and two regrettable audio gags involving muting a woman’s singing and adding the sound of urination), so that could benefit from a revisit.

Mike points out in the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide that he wishes that he and a full staff of writers could take on The Slime People, saying that it’s the perfect movie for them, and it’s tough to disagree with that. A latter-day writing team could spin gold out of the foggy sequences that gave the Season 1 gang some difficulties.

As it stands, though, like @CLANG_Potroast, I’m okay with the Season 1 movies not getting a second look, having the original episodes represent where the show started and how much creative progress they would make later on.

5 Likes

Slime People is a good prospect, though. I’d rewatch it more even now if there wasn’t so much obnoxious shrieking from the obnoxiously-written sister act.

3 Likes

None Whatsoever.

Robot Holocaust as a Riff-Along would be fun.

2 Likes

How about Project Moonbase because it was SO 1950’s sexist, as they made the female pilot look like a silly stooge.
Then there’s the ending

2 Likes

ROBOT HOLOCAUST seems like the kind of sci-fi action movie that, with experienced writers like they are today, could become a rapid-fire riffing goldmine like SPACE MUTINY or FUTURE WAR. And considering how much time has passed since 1990 and today, there’s lots of other people and characters that they could point out Valaria’s bored feminine Schwarzenegger-like voice sounds like.

2 Likes

Robot Monster was the first episode of MST I ever saw so it might be nostalgic for me but I think the episode holds up better than most season 1 episodes. For me I’d say Robot Holocaust, though still a good episode, could use a revisit. Also maybe Women of the Prehistoric Planet and Moon Base Zero Two

1 Like

I’d love to see a fresh riff of Robot Monster, personally. Doesn’t matter who-- the Mads, Rifftrax, new MST3K… I just want more Ro-Man!

I’ve actually thought it would be cool to see them revisit some of their older films like that. Especially the Gerry Anderson stuff.

2 Likes

Mad Monster and Robot Monster might be good ones to tackle once more, especially since the latter’s getting a 3D restoration.

1 Like

Robot Monster. It’s the iconic goofy monster movie and it’s one of the better season ones but I really think it needs a do-over.

1 Like

I’m seconding Aztec Mummy. First time I saw that episode, I ended up breaking it into parts because of the sparse riffing and dull movie.

You’re kidding, right? I realize this is all opinion. But if anything, Robot Monster was the breakout episode of the first season. Not only did it present a movie that was the perfect example of 1950s alien invasion genre, but they finally figured out the proper riffing rate as of that episode.

The Mad Monster is the one that could use a redo. Just so much dead air.

1 Like

I say The Corpse Vanishes. It’s a cheesy Bela Lugosi movie but I think it’s disappointing. Should’ve been better in my opinion, and I don’t say that much about Mst3K.

Huh. That’s my favorite S1 episode. :thinking: I’m sure they could still find new stuff to add on, though.

1 Like

Everyone has their favorites. I like Robot Holocaust for season 1, or The Crawling Eye. But, hey, to each their own :grin:

1 Like

If they need a re-do then we have to keep re-do-ing them until they’re PERFECT!