Season 13 Hype!!!

Which one is that?

I appreciate that!

Jonah and the gang deal with a leprechaun invasion in the Vault Picks treatment of King Dinosaur (around the 1:18:23 mark) !

5 Likes

I think this is probably the most appropriate thread for my current observations…

I’ve just been thinking how impressed I am with how this whole virtual theater concept has rolled out. I’ll be honest, I was a little skeptical. It’s kind of a big ask to join a new streaming service that’s only dedicated to one show. If any show could pull it off, it’d be MST3K, right? I mean, every episode is a feature length movie, and they’ve got two hundred of them in the vault, surely that’s value for your money?

What’s surprised me is how much there is to see every month. Two live events each month, including premieres, shorts, new wrapper segments, Q&As. What surprised me was the Synthia Selects treatment on the vault picks – I didn’t really feel the immediate drive to rewatch the old vault picks during the soft launch period, but these new wrapper segments make it feel a little more special. Enjoy a classic episode with an extra dash of spice.

That’s eight feature-length events that I want to check out every month. Honestly, I don’t even get that kind of value from Netflix.

I am shocked by how hard this team is working on this project, just everything that they’re doing to build a complete service around one TV show.

10 Likes

I didn’t bother watching April’s vault picks - I figured I could watch them any time. I wasn’t going to watch May until I realized that the “Synthia’s Selects” people were talking about were the vault picks. Then I busted through all of them in the last week or so. Today is June 1 and I’m already one vault pick in. (Well, halfway through it)

7 Likes

yeah i only watched 4 vault picks last month.

2 Likes

One week from now: The Doctor (Mordid) is in!

6 Likes

Having just watched the trailer twice now: I am already hyped for Demon Squad!

9 Likes

That Demon Squad trailer is great. If the rest of the episode stays that good it should be a season highlight.

6 Likes

Yeah, one thing that stands out to me about that Demon Squad trailer, it kind of shows the strength of green screening over traditional set construction. Like, they didn’t need to build an entire set to have that location, and it’s probably easier to store the flat plates if they ever need to return to it.

The more I think about it, the more excited I am for Demon Squad. A scrappy little independent movie about a subculture of paranormal creatures with some really hokey-cool costume designs, apparently made with a lot of heart and passion, like what if there was a low-budget Supernatural movie. It sounds like it’s going to be a lot of fun just on its own, and putting a layer of MST3K on top can only add to it.

And the guy they got to host it is pretty cool too I guess.

4 Likes

Less than a week from now: We team up with the Demon Squad!

(I am for sure pumped for this one! :smiley:)

8 Likes

Now we just gotta worry about some of the angry YouTube comments. They clearly have no taste on anything new.

6 Likes

Never read YouTube comments.

6 Likes

crosses heart
Agreed.

3 Likes

Indeed. I seem to recall Bill Corbett saying something once along the lines of, “If you ever find yourself feeling too good about humanity, go read the comments on a Youtube video.” Remains true to this day.

1 Like

I look forward to all the threads complaining about Joel’s new vest.

Sometimes I feel like that, but then sometimes i check the comments on a video and find comic creator Mike Allred pop up, answering questions and being generally awesome.

So sometimes it pays to check the comments.

1 Like

That’s mad, man.

2 Likes

I still can’t wrap my noggin around the wild fact that in just a few days we get to see the first new Joel-hosted episode of MST3K in 29 years.

5 Likes