Season 13 Thread of Anticipation, Excitement, and Mirth

:smiley:

I’m there! Always appointment viewing, that!

Depending on how the broadcast debut schedule goes this year, there’s only one thing that could keep me from watching the Last Drive-In premiere episodes live, and that’s new MST3K.

5 Likes

I’m just so thrilled we have a new era, and one in which the team has basically total creative freedom. There are episodes from the original run that I still haven’t seen, or saw as a kid and don’t remember well, because I got into the habit of saving them for later during the Dark Times before The Return.

So to celebrate an abundant harvest after years of intermittent rationing, I think turkey day will be coming early at my house this year. I have a bird stashed in my freezer for just such an occasion, and you’re all invited in spirit.

11 Likes

This is what’s going to be particularly interesting to see.

What will we get when there’s no KTMA, no Comedy Central, no Sci-Fi Channel, and no Netflix to mind the store, as it were?

CANNOT. WAIT.

11 Likes

I’m gonna roll my eyes and bogart my herbal cigarette and say “Oh, is that show still on?” And then go on about how it stopped being funny when Chevy Chase left.

7 Likes

I get the nervous anticipation with regard to how the premier will go, as I have definitely seen a few live streaming events go sideways over the last couple of years. That often has to do with not being prepared for the number of viewers, and not having servers scaled appropriately. I don’t think we will see an issue like that with the season 13 premier, as I think the upper limit of viewers is already a known quantity, as I believe they have said they will not be adding any new subscribers to the platform until a few months after the Gizmoplex launches. They are beta testing now, so they will have a baseline with x number of users, and VHX should know what to do to meet the demand when x becomes the maximum. Now, if they don’t scale things up to be able to meet that maximum known quantity, that could be an issue. It seems to me that the MST3K crew are on top of this though.

I have full confidence that any technical issues experienced with the premier will be entirely on my end.

5 Likes

In the Gizmoplex, Every Day will be like Turkey Day!

10 Likes

I hope things don’t crash. I already asked for the evening off. I will wear my Emily dress to celebrate (in my living room, but, still). Snacks are still TBD

11 Likes

That’s also my concern. I remember months ago when Rifftrax did a show using Scener for the first time, and that was a disaster. The server couldn’t handle the demand and it crashed.

5 Likes

I got one name for ya–El Santo! Or Samson. OK, two names.

2 Likes

As others have said, I think it’s highly likely that the Gizmoplex will crash on day 1, because I work in software and this is just a not uncommon thing that happens when you go live for the first time.

2 Likes

i am very excited. mst3k coming back plus getting access to seasons 11+12 for the first time in years has put a bright spot in this bleak world. i won’t be able to join the livestream due to time zones but am looking forward to discussing with you all in the forum later on.

3 Likes

The same weekend has the release of Triangle Strategy, a three hour Batman movie, and Alton Brown live in my city, so it’s gonna be a full few days

3 Likes

If we’re talking about the crunch of watching the premiere, I believe VHX has some pretty big clients and a robust back end, so I see no reason to expect problems (although nothing’s impossible.) The Gizmoplex web site may be just going live, but VHX is well-established.

4 Likes

I fear that I won’t be able to see it, because I could only afford a lesser level of support on the Kickstarter, so…

I mean I’m proud to be a part of what made it all possible, I’m just kind of sad that I probably will miss the end result.

4 Likes

It will be open to the public after a month or so, and some of the lower levels included GizmoPlex access.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Fear?
I’m one of those who felt the Netflix era was over produced, over cooked.

When you bring in new characters then you have to give them something to do, and Killer Fish was the worst example of how that can work against you. All that busy, busy in the theater in that ep was not to my liking.

So while I’m looking forward to seeing Joel as host and am curious about Emily - that’s, more stuff, more people, more to explain and fold into the show… More, when I’d rather they pull back and stick to basics.

So, I’m crossing my fingers it works out and whatever worries I have will quickly be set aside because it’s funny and it works.

Looking forward too…
Seeing the Gizmoplex, seeing how those screencaps we worked on for months will be used. Seeing it all come together.

Plans?
Nothing specific - Not sure I’ll even see it live, as I rarely see any of the live stuff live (the Mads, The MJP Show) I just watch it when I’m around. We’ll see, maybe I’ll cook up some Totino’s Pizza Rolls.

1301b9d7aa73e0dd5267026bacc1e698

7 Likes

I’m all matryoshka about the upcoming season. On the outside I am staid and contemplative, feeling calm and confident that this will be fantastic. Inside I’m tan and handsome. And inside that I’m a squealing squirrel of frenetic delight, looking forward to stuffing his cheeks with the forthcoming bounty.

Taste truly is a subjective thing. I actually loved all that and it helped make Killer Fish one of my favorite episodes of the N-years. Another man’s poison and so forth.

4 Likes

That’s the truth, Killer Fish isn’t just my least favorite Netflix episode, but one of my bottom 10 experiments all-time.

3 Likes

Good thing I’m not alone on that. Killer Fish was just a mess, both the movie and the episode. Although I will give them credit for experimenting. It just didn’t work that time. There was too much going on in the theater. It was kinda obnoxious honestly.

4 Likes