Season 14, Gizmoplex, and MST3K ... Nothin' But Tumbleweeds

Some seem to think that the world is ending soon and there will be no chance for things to happen in the future, or for anything to be still over the horizon. I know none of us are getting any younger and neither is Joel, but it’s a long way from “there’s nothing happening right now” to “there will never be anything happening”.

It may be that the future now lies in stuff like Rifftrax and the Mads… just riffing without the need for millions of dollars in infrastructure.

1 Like

Totally agree!

1 Like

Oh - the absolute failure on every level of the S14 fund effort, and the subsequent abandonment of the community by pretty much everyone involved with the show is a complete, total, unequivocal going out on a whimper. Its the last thing MST3K tried to do, and if that’s the final note (and of course its an “if” for now) then it was decidedly a bum one.

I understand the desire to have optimism that maybe something will come in the future. I also get that it there are some things to look back on that came further in the past that are good things. But there’s no pretending that the last effort didn’t fail utterly, and that the past 8 months haven’t been a pretty cold shoulder to the community. Could the show still have a future? Maybe … but it seems pretty unlikely at the moment. As others have said, the Father of the riffing industry seems to have left the building, and guys like Rifftrax and the Mads are the ones carrying the torch now.

3 Likes

The others have said this magnificently. Almost all of the alarm in this thread or certainly a vast majority are post Season 13. From February 2023 and forward. I can’t stress that enough. My critiques are all related to the aftermath of Season 13 not the season itself. I’m very happy with Season 13 and have said so. REPEATEDLY. It was an inspired showcase of love and you could sense Joel’s and everyone else’s commitment to every one of those episodes. That’s not in doubt and never was. Not by most of us. There were a few in the Season 14 Crowdfunder Thread. And some conflate that or any criticism to now. It isn’t. Nearly all the worry now is the interaction post Season 13.

So respectfully we’re focusing on separate things. A majority of us loved the last season and the separation is whether what happened next matters. For some, all relevance begins and ends with Season 13. For others, the lack communication after and uninspired crowdfunder is the last meaningful impression. It hinges on how you look at it and what you deem as important. That’s what separates us. It isn’t just happy or angry. It’s what you see as the last breath of the program. The shows themselves or the relationship around them.

I’m happy you’re happy. I’m thankful to have 33 more episodes. And if it ends there, I can rest well. The Return was a miracle and I’ll never take that away. Hold on to that always. It’s a worthy view and I won’t discount it. EVER. I share much of that opinion but also understand those who feel locked out by what came next. You may disagree with that opinion (and that’s your right) but it is one felt throughout the community. Enough so people keep asking the question “What’s Next?” The difference is beyond emotion alone. It’s the thinking that emotion is based in. Which is why this debate will probably never go away. My eternal thanks to the Moderators for allowing this discussion and all of you.

Note: In analyzing February 2023 and after, some of us provided our thoughts that span years before all the way to the present. So much of the past relates to now. The attempt to make sense of the ups and downs requires reflection and looking back for answers. Much of it is very subjective and we all have our opinions. We must be careful but we must also be able to express our feelings. It’s a balance and a compromise we must make with each other. Otherwise parts of this community will suffer. We are all distinct human beings.

We feel differently, we think differently, and we act differently. That difference gives us strength but if we let it? It can tear us apart. We must be tolerant of each other and allow each of us to celebrate or grieve in our own way. Which is what this thread I think is all about. As for myself, December 2022 was when I felt something. And in our conversation, I shared that experience. For most of us that feeling was later and that sense of missing the engagement and attention is what is the issue.

Yes the shows were made. And made well. But for some the connection between the producers and the backers was just as important and is the central issue of this debate. “Not everyone will get this, but the right ones will.” That call to arms speaks to the bond between them and us. It wasn’t just a sales pitch. It was a state of mind. A belief. A sentiment that brought the show back twice. A tie so powerful that when Season 14 fell apart there was an expectation of closure given how close it was.

Whether that expectation is justified is another question. The fact is the show was revived and that fire still burns today. The shows do matter while some care about the process. That’s the difference. Thanks.

2 Likes

I do wonder if the new cast will branch off into their own riffing ventures. Didn’t Jonah, Hampton and Barron try to get their own live show going that got cut down by the pandemic?

3 Likes

I have not heard anything about such plans. Though no one tells me anything, so who knows really.

2 Likes

I keep wondering why the live tour can’t come back. Rifftrax and the Mads are making that venue work in their respective ways. I thought the MST live shows were great (went to both of them) and now that the pandemic is done there doesn’t seem to be a reason why they couldn’t come back. Were they just not profitable?

3 Likes

It would seem the band is no longer together. As far as profitability? It’s anyone’s guess. When MST3K was on Netflix, the live shows sold out. With the loss of Netflix and the pandemic terrifying people? Who knows.

2 Likes

The decision not to record the live shows is one that irks me to no end. Yes I’ve heard all the excuses/reasons/etc. for why they did it that way.

Bottom line is, this is a show that has lived on because the fans love rewatching it. It’s designed to be so saturated with jokes that rewatching it is basically mandatory to catch everything. To make the live shows be a once and done, “if you missed it… sucks to be you!” kind of thing just made absolutely no sense to me.

Maybe some day recordings of those shows will surface in legal or even semi-legal form. But right now, with all those potential new episodes lost to time? What a waste.

5 Likes

Other than the first tour, the rest of the live shows are out there in semi-legal form.

1 Like

I would kill to see the Argoman riffing again…

2 Likes

That was a GREAT show! I always hoped they were going to release it as part of season 12.

3 Likes

Just a quick friendly reminder that what you are cutely calling “semi-legal” copies, would almost certainly be unlicensed copyright-infringing copies, and posting any links to those in the forum would violate our Don’t Promote Illegal Stuff rule.

3 Likes

Relatedly, the Mads just went on hiatus after 4 straight years of monthly shows without missing one. They say they’ll be back, and I absolutely can’t begrudge them taking a break but maaaaaan, I’m gonna miss it in the meantime.

5 Likes

I meant to mention Felicia Day was one of the Q&A guests for that show too, and if she said anything about the future I blinked and missed it. Still, it was neat seeing her FINALLY be on screen with Frank and Trace.

4 Likes

Not much of anything, but this got posted over in the comments section on mst3kinfo.com

Purely speculation obviously, but as discussed, perhaps MST is off to hibernate for a good long while, or down for a permanent rest.

https://www.mst3kinfo.com/?p=35258#comments

Dan in WI
July 15, 2024 at 9:42 am

I talked to Mike Norton (who did the art for season 13) at C2E2 earlier this year. He didn’t have a definite answer on a second attempt Season 14 fundraiser. His personal gut feeling (take this for what it is worth) was Joel is losing interest and my let MST die.

1 Like

Which is what we’ve been suspecting. And what I speculated earlier. The fire is gone. You can tell. It isn’t “psychic” to observe no energy. I’ve felt this since December 2022. Remember The Eye of The Tiger? “You trade your passion for glory…” “Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past…” “You must fight just to keep them alive…” It is the struggle that defines direction. In anything. Lose that? And anything can happen.

Note: As someone who fights for everything, I see how important will is and how essential. I wish everyone attached to the show the best. Joel, Matt, Lesley, Ivan, Jonah, Emily, and everyone. This is a bitter pill but one we can swallow together. At least I’ve met all you wonderful people out of this and who knows what the future holds. “There are possibilities” as Spock said and if there is life after death we will find it together. In time.

1 Like

All we can do is speculate, but the lack of information and interaction to me means the end is nigh. We should enjoy what we have. But this as the end of the franchise is a bit unsatisfying for me.

1 Like

Folks. Nothing said is nothing said. I don’t understand why you feel the need to interpret every ounce of silence as doom and gloom. I won’t stop you (as long as you stay in line, which you all have been recently). No, I’m not saying that you should be optimistic, but, wow, you all like to grab the tiniest imagined weight and sink with it.

8 Likes

I assure you that I would latch onto the tiniest amount of positive information as well.

And it is more than an ounce of silence.

4 Likes