Season 14 Movie Picks

I don’t think it’s “good” but I wouldn’t dismiss it in it’s entirety. I think there’s an interesting fairy tale vibe from when they were creepy. It’s just so utterly divorced from ANY reality that it’s completely bewildering and upsetting.

1 Like

I don’t see anyone mentioning this is this thread, so here:

A Richard Baseheart movie.
I don’t know much about him beyond MST3K so I can’t pick one myself, but it would be fun to do something with the old GPC running gag, both 1 & 2 are obviously no longer “slow” (processing power’s gotten better over the years), but I can think of handful of ways to make a one-off episode out of it, would be a great setup to have a ton of GPC(s) in the theater at once!

As a B5 fan, I know there’s big legal loopholes if fans suggest plot ideas, so I’ll just leave it at that and hope I haven’t said enough to make a laywer ancy, lol.

7 Likes

Gov Gabbi and Despiser look more like something Rifftrax would do.

And PB Solution has been brought up a number of times, somewhere out their Matt explained why they can’t do it.

The Giant Claw has long been on my wishlist, along with other BW classics like Corman’s Attack of the Crab Monster and the previously mentioned From Hell it Came. Not sure if rights issues are preventing them from ever happening, but I’d die happy if they did them.

5 Likes

Didn’t Corman pitch a fit and decide that MST would never have access to any more of his films? Or am I thinking of someone else?

2 Likes

He’s done that a few times, he threw a fit with CT and the Wasp Woman, but it sounds like he no longer has a say in it, at least on a few of his films. But yeah, citation needed on that, as I’m going by memory.

2 Likes

I’ve made 14 picks in a separate thread, so I’ll put those links here. I was dealing with a bit of a creative block at the time, so I still think it could be better in places. But I tried to make it as realistic and attainable as I could…not so much “the worst” movies but cheesy ones no less:

Mazes & Monsters, Gamera vs. Viras, Voyage of the Rock Aliens, Munchie Strikes Back, Treasure of The Ninja, The Lilac Ball, Superdome, City on Fire, Unmasking The Idol, Rat Pfink a Boo Boo, Nukie, Yes Giorgio, Road House and Magic Christmas Tree.

I was thinking of adding an SCTV flavor to the proceedings with Paul Flaherty and Martin Short’s Clifford (partially thanks to a recent tweet from TV’s Frank himself). It’s a very polarizing movie, neither universally loved nor hated. In other words, a pretty typical dark comedy from the 90’s…or is it? :thinking:

It’s for that reason that I’m not 100% sure if it will make for good riffing material. Plus, there might need to be some scenes edited for content. It’s a thought, at least!

EDIT: Adding another to the list, which I thought was a short but is actually 1 hour and 19 minutes long…the absolutely horrifying Pinocchio’s Birthday Party, which may be receiving an AGFA restoration if their social media is to be believed…:flushed:

(note, this trailer is not in any way NSFW, it’s only Found Footage Fest being silly with their video titles, as usual).

2 Likes

Yes, it was. It is also a bit of a cult hit, and I think it would make a great MST3K episode. My friends and I riffed the heck out of it years ago, even while enjoying every minute of the movie.

1 Like

Good luck finding a bad Richard Basehart movie. The closest I can think of is The Satan Bug
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059678/
Bonus points as it is a secret agent movie. Unfortunately, the plot is actually more plausible than your average 007 film.

There is also The Island of Dr. Moreau which has about the same rating on IMDB. This is the one with Burt Lancaster and Michael York, and is one of the better adaptations of the HG Wells novel. It’s not Island of Lost Souls good, but if MST3K does a Dr. Moreau flick it should be the horrible Marlon Brando version.

3 Likes

As far as shorts go, I would like to see them take on one of the Norman Krasner shorts. RiffTrax has done a couple of them for their live shows, so Traxians should be familiar, but would be neat to see MST3K take one on.

1 Like

I would definitely consider donating to a Kickstarter to secure the rights to The Giant Claw as long as that would be used as an official Thanksgiving episode.

That’s my dream. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

On the subject of Pinocchio…

How about Pinocchio in Outer Space (1965)? Everyone’s favorite termite hotel joins forces with Nurtle, an alien turtle voiced by Arnold Stang, to face an evil space whale. Yeah, I’m not sure what illegal substances they were smoking when they came up with this plot.

I saw this years ago on a local television station. This would make good fodder for the show.

The film was produced by Ray Goossens, best known for creating children’s book character Musti. Norm Prescott also worked on the film; he went on to join Filmation, best remembered for He-Man, Fat Albert AND their own take on the puppet Pinocchio & The Emperor of the Night.

4 Likes

Quite a few for “Pinocchio in Outer Space,” eh? I have to say just watching the trailer I can see how bad it is. The more I see stuff like this, the more I think that the folks at MST3K really should consider riffing a bad animated movie. It would be somewhat new territory for them, not to mention of course that bad silent movie called “The Manxman.” I say be bold and take a chance at it.

4 Likes

Where has Dracula Sovereign of the Dammed been all my life!!! I would’ve loved this when i was 5!

1 Like

I’m watching on YouTube now. Thanks for the tip

1 Like

Once more, I’ll mention the 1977 film Where Time Began, also known as the Fabulous Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Based on the Jules Verne book (Journey to the Center of the Earth), the general cheese factor and the monsters they encounter would make this a fun season 14 pick!

4 Likes

That’s been showing on one of the cheapo movie channels here recently, and it’s appropriately goofy.

2 Likes

I trust the crew.

1 Like

I digitize old VHS tapes as a hobby and try to enhance/remaster them. A tape I recently put in had the television broadcast premiere of the Robert Hays & Pam Dawber film, The Girl, The Gold Watch and Everything.

Seems ripe for some MST3K riffing.

3 Likes

Well, if there is hope for a Christmas short for Season 14, I have a doozy. Bonus, it’s also Canadian and animated:
From the dark recesses of the 1970s (1977 to be precise), prepare to enter the nightmare fuelled world of A Cosmic Christmas.

Created by Nelvana (the animation studio that brought the world such classics as Rock and Rule, Care Bears, Droids, Ewoks and Raccoons) 3 visitors from outer space (who look strangely like wisemen) come to earth to learn the real meaning of Christmas with help from a young boy named Peter and his pet goose. It’s a Canadian Classic that I think many people of a certain age have had burned into their brains. It is also certainly trippy. It is at least a classic in our house.

3 Likes

I have a wish for them to bring MST3k allllll the way full circle and riff the movie featured in the original KTMA pilot: The Green Slime

7 Likes