Season 9 is Strong (this from a Joel guy)...

So, at the moment, I am appreciating season 9 the most, with the Gauntlet a close second. I’ve never really thought in terms of favorite SEASONS before, just strong episodes. But for some reason I keep coming back to these two.

5 Likes

Much has been said of Season 9 episodes like The Pumaman, Werewolf, Hobgoblins, The Touch of Satan, Gorgo, and The Final Sacrifice, but you know which Season 9 episode I find particularly entertaining?

The Phantom Planet. Deeply underrated as MST3K episodes go. Just a real treat of an episode, and perfect for relaxation.

Devil Fish and The Screaming Skull are something pretty fun as well, especially the latter with the Gumby short.

If Shout had the rights to release or stream The Deadly Bees and The Space Children, I suspect we’d be talking about those episodes a lot more, too.

8 Likes

I just watched The Phantom Planet for the first time a week ago, I enjoyed it more than I expected (I’ve not been in a b&w mood for some time now).

The Deadly Bees is phenomenal.

4 Likes

It has this really comfy feel to it, you know? Perfect 50s sci-fi hokum for the series.

It’s worth checking out for the Mrs. Hargrove riffs ALONE. But there’s so much more to it. There’s something delightfully absurd about the premise/execution, and that gives the gang a great deal to work with.

The Observer host segments add an entire level of awesome to the proceedings!

4 Likes

No idea how to quote… but regarding The Deadly Bees, I’ve only seen it twice. Both times were about 2 years ago, and in the same week (it impressed me that much). I need to track it down.

4 Likes

No problem! If you ever want to quote a section of someone’s post, just highlight the selection you want to quote and either click on the word “Quote” that appears or click on the word “Reply” at the bottom of that post.

Glad to hear that it’s impressed you to that degree! I liked to revisit the copy I taped off TV once upon a time (before YouTube ever factored into things).

As of now, you can only find that episode on YouTube, as Shout Factory can’t secure the rights to release that on DVD or officially stream it from their website. Same deal with The Space Children, unfortunately.

3 Likes

I love The Deadly Bees. Werewolf in my favorite episode (and my first) but The Deadly Bees is a worthy episode to come after it. I have what is probably an illegal copy of it and I watch it every time I go through the series. There are some phenomenal one-liners.

“Objection! Stupid hat!”

5 Likes

I agree with all sentiments on this post but especially The Phantom Planet - such an underrated classic that has that earnest early 60’s corniness with an adorable monster. As @optiMSTie said: super chill episode that is easy to watch or fall asleep to.

But as OP says, season 9 has some great episodes. For me Touch of Satan is one of my go-to Halloween episode.

3 Likes

That movie wears its heart on its sleeve, and when a movie has that, it puts itself into a place where the MST3K gang can do something really special with it.

I mean, all of the episode is great, but when Frank lands on the asteroid and gets shrunken down? That’s where it gets golden and doesn’t let up from there.

3 Likes

“We have got to start a basketball team, you guys!”

3 Likes

“Yesterday, I was a bold astronaut; today, I’m a 12-count party shrimp!”

3 Likes

Isn’t that the one where Crow dresses up as one of the aliens and doesn’t remember doing it. “And it’s a very good costume!”

3 Likes

That’s the one, taking Richard Kiel’s lead and dressing up as a Solarite!

3 Likes

This season does have the glory and wonder of Puma Man, Devil Fish, and Hobgoblins in it. Not to mention The Space Children and Gorgo, which I think deserve more love than they usually get.

3 Likes