Second Banana Heaven: now accepting nominations

Torgo the White is an ambassador. TV’s Frank spent some time there before moving on to soultaking. Who else gets past the velvet rope?

I’ll take an obvious one: Hey now.

6 Likes

First one that comes to mind.

8 Likes

He was going to be one of my suggestions as well.

I’ll offer up Father Dougal Mcguire from Father Ted.

FatherDougal

Might one also count Q?

Q

And while they are more “foils” than “second bananas”, probably the greatest ever were Larry Fine and Chico Marx. Though they fall more in the manzai comedy category of “straight man and comedic dunce”, as seen with Abbott & Costello.

7 Likes

IIRC, Torgo the White confirmed that Tonto, Robin, and Kato are already there. Frank also mentioned some in his return… I want to say Joe Besser and/or Gabby Hayes, but I forget.

Others I’d nominate…

Ed McMahon (from Johnny Carson’s Tonight Show)

Penfold (from Danger Mouse)

Luigi Mario

Sideshow Mel

Doctor Watson

10 Likes

Crumbs! That’s a good choice alright.

4 Likes

Mike Shank, if only for the above - surely the funniest moment in cinematic history?

4 Likes

How about any of the numerous Igor and Renfield takes out there?

Igor

Renfield

8 Likes

Andy Richter?

6 Likes

Razors from Long Good Friday. Like Watson, but a proper ‘ard geezer.

4 Likes

Let’s not forget Dropo, the laziest Martian on Mars.

Dropo

On second thought, let’s try to forget him.

5 Likes

Daisuke Jigen from Lupin the IIIrd

4 Likes

Hmm…pondering one: would Porky Pig qualify? He did have the starring role in his early days, but pretty much became a second banana later to Daffy (and sometimes Bugs).

4 Likes

Max gets the nod based mostly on the fact that he’s the source of a recurring riff I’ve always guessed anyone who didn’t watch Hart to Hart missed: “My boss …”

To borrow Dr. Erhardt’s question for TV’s Son of TV’s Frank: If you’re the second banana to a couple, does that make you third banana?

5 Likes

Ed Norton (The Honeymooners)

Donny Kerabatsos (The Big Lebowski)

Janet (The Good Place)

Taggart (Blazing Saddles)

Bronn (Game of Thrones)

Dr. Einstein (Arsenic & Old Lace)

Barney Rubble (The Flintstones)

Dim (A Clockwork Orange)

Sarah Jane Smith (Doctor Who)

The characters Bruce Spence plays in Road Warrior and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, regardless of whether they’re supposed to be the same person

Baldrick (Blackadder)

Sir Robin’s minstrel (Monty Python & The Holy Grail)

Sallah (Raiders of the Lost Ark)

Marcellus (The Music Man)

Inigo Montoya and Fezzik - co second bananas (The Princess Bride)

Leo Bloom (The Producers)

Garth Algar (Wayne’s World)

5 Likes

7 Likes

I want Andy Richter and Frank to do a podcast together.

4 Likes

I agree with Watson, but only the Nigel Bruce one. A lot of the other Watsons are on par with Sherlock and pretty outstanding in their own right. Jam Watson is a total second banana though.

3 Likes

There’s a ton of great ones in Deadpool, but I’ll always have a place in my heart of Weasel.

And the most 2nd anime banana of them all, Genos.

1 Like

I would have argued Krillin in that way too…but he’s already in heaven being with Android 18…

2 Likes

Yeah, I considered Krillin, but Krillin is actually a bit of a threat to Goku in the original Dragonball at first. Genos will NEVER be anything more than a second banana and, (most importantly), actively made himself a second banana.

1 Like