Serial Killers and the Cops Who Hunt Them

Serial Killers and the Law Enforcement who catch them. Real life cases, television and movie treatment, or whatever your mind turns to on the subject. Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, Hannibal Lecter, Francis Dolarhyde, John Doe, Jigsaw. True or imagined, why are these stories larger than life and continue to fascinate?

Note: I want this to be an informative thread but let’s avoid the most graphic details on this. Be careful how you describe some of the subject matter for those reading.

1 Like

IMO, sociopath is an overused and too broad of a category for what you want here. The category I think you are looking for is serial killers (as opposed to the smaller group, cereal killers, who may or may not be responsible for the deaths of breakfast cereal mascots such as Jeremy the Sugar Puffs Bear.)

2 Likes

@Raymond I was afraid the use of the term Serial Killer would be too provocative a term. I’ve had run-ins here on the use of language and I balanced the meaning with the right word to use.

1 Like

@BruceLeePullen I think you are better off with serial killer IMO if that’s your concern. Sociopath is a clinical term for someone with Anti-Social Personality Disorder. Many people with ASPD become serial killers but not everyone with ASPD does. Also, there are probably (I haven’t researched it so don’t quote me) many people who are consider serial killers who don’t have ASPD. Just my $0.02.

1 Like

I altered it to Serial Killers. I appreciate the two cents. I am aware of the distinction. A vast majority of Serial Killers are classified as fitting the parameters of ASPD and it seemed the best alternative given my options. To avoid problems altogether, I went with the closest meaning which would be Serial Killers. I’ve been burned enough on this wording business I tried to be careful. Thanks.

1 Like