Sharing a Post?

So… how does the sharing the post feature work?

1 Like

I’m enquiring mind, and I want to know!

1 Like

@Starman
Share isn’t figured out yet (reply to this from your email inbox if you have your Discourse email notifications torned on now… If not I’ll tag you in a new post after you turn that on so you can get the Reply by Email badge)

2 Likes

On my phone if I hit the share icon (looks like a chain link) I get done of the usual Android sharing options. Stuff like send a link in a text, copy link, Gmail, etc. I’d I had any social media apps I assume those would show up too. In the end, sharing a topic gives you a url to the web page for the post, and you can hand that off to who or whatever you like.

3 Likes

Have you tried switching to desktop view on your mobile?-there’s a share button not on mobile view… :face_with_monocle:
Under advisement I took the link from the little chain thingie and posted it to Facebook-someone clicked the link so I’m waiting 24 hours to see if the badge unlocks.

2 Likes

This makes sense and it inspired me to test it: I clicked the Share button and the system generated a URL for me; I then pasted this link into an anchor tag on a test page on one of my own websites and clicked it. So now I’ll wait and see if this registers for the badge.

Discourse might be using the referrer header for this purpose, in which case it will fail because I disable those headers. But at least we’ll know!

2 Likes

I’m also curious to see if the link has to be clicked/followed by a user whose name isn’t in the URL. I tried it both with the same account and with a different one—one of them worked, but the 23-hour delay made it impossible to tell which.

4 Likes

If my test works it will answer this question, because I followed the pasted link from a browser with an empty cache on a different computer (i.e. I was not logged into Discourse on that system).

3 Likes