Shorts Listomania! List your favorite... animated shorts!

Now this is where it gets difficult!

• Northwest Hounded Police, Tex Avery, 1946
  • Bambi vs Godzilla, Marv Newland
  • 25 Ways to Quit Smoking, Bill Plympton
  • The Dot and the Line, Chuck Jones
  • What’s Opera, Doc?, Chuck Jones (I had the unbelievably good fortune to actually see this on the big screen, before a screening of the Marx Bros’ A Night at the Opera and it is a completely different thing theatrically than it is on TV)
  • Quest: A Long Ray’s Journey into Light, Michael Sciulli and Melissa White
  • Balance, Wolfgang & Christoph Lauenstein
  • The Cat Came Back, Cordell Barker
  • Hare-Way to the Stars, Chuck Jones
  • Knick-Knack, John Lasseter

And because I get to break the rules occasionally, let me add For the Birds (Ralph Eggleston) and Duck Amuck (Chuck Jones, natch).

4 Likes

And let me just add that I am chagrined to have to leave out any of the Wile E Coyote/Roadrunner shorts, the ‘Into the Infinite’ sequence from 2001: A Space Odyssey, a representative Gumby short by Art Clokey (to say nothing of a representative Tom and Jerry), a representative Goofy short (probably How to Play Golf), a Svankmajer, a Hubley… yeah. I may come back and say the heck with it, 25, not 10.

Edit: AIEEE!!! I DIDN’T INCLUDE A WALLACE AND GROMIT!

4 Likes

Pretty much any Road Runner short, and for non-WB, this is one of my favorites:

2 Likes

Ordered by release date, Oscar’s rule of 40 min or under for run time

• Fantasmagorie (1908) Emile Cohl
  • The Flying House (1921) Winsor McCay
  • Tulips Shall Grow (1942) George Pal
  • The Tell-Tale Heart (1953) Ted Parmelee
  • How The Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966) Chuck Jones & Ben Washam
  • Asparagus (1979) & Joy Street (1995) Suzan Pitt
  • Street of Crocodiles (1986) Stephen and Timothy Quay
  • The Man Who Planted Trees (1987) Frédéric Back
  • Feelings of Mountains and Waters (1988) Te Wei
  • Worlds of Tomorrow pts I & II (2015-2017) Don Hertzfeldt

Honorable mentions…
Cockaboody (1974), Solar Walk (2018), Bimbo’s Initiation (1931), The Mascot (1933), Papageno (1935), The Old Mill (1937), Cat Soup (2001), The House of Small Cubes (2008), Darkness, Light, Darkness (1989), The Hand (1965 - Jiří Trnka), The Old Man and the Sea (1966), Franz Kafka’s a Country Doctor (2007), Coda (2013), Rabbit (1995), Malice in Wonderland (1982)

3 Likes

AIEEE!!! I forgot How the Grinch Stole Christmas and A Charlie Brown Christmas!

2 Likes

I changed mine to include Fantasmagorie, which film historians consider the first hand drawn animated movie (though there were other types of animation, cutouts, stop motion, made before this, such as Poor Pierrot from 1892).

and if you’d just like to go through and watch a bunch…

https://www.arthousestreet.com/blog/animated-shorts?msclkid=08c5dab8bb0311ecb1888e7163a94287

And I also also forgot Zbigniew Rybczynski’s Tango.

2 Likes
2 Likes

No particular order:

Running Man (Yoshiaki Kawajiri, 1989)
Rejected (Don Hertzfeldt, 2000)
Drawing on My Mind (Bob Kurtz, 1985)
Second Reality (Future Crew, 1993)
Magnetic Rose (Studio 4°C, 1995)
Timmy’s Lessons in Nature (A&S Animation, 2001)
Ruin (Oddball Animation, 2012)
The Witness (PinkmanTV, 2019) [NSFW]
Fukuro (Masahiro Ito, 2001) [NSFW]
An animated short with a scared piglet escaping traps and a clown nurse that I totally forgot the title and when it was made [NSFW]

Honorable mention to everything that Lone Sausage has ever done. I cannot pick just one of their shorts to highlight. I love them all.

2 Likes
2 Likes

How are we defining animated shorts? Because I’d point to just about all of the Pixar shorts, like La Luna and Lifted.

1 Like

snowmancover

I’ll cobble a list together at some point, but for now, I have to show some love for The Snowman.

A holiday season simply isn’t complete without it! Pure and absolute magic, all the way through.

2 Likes

Gestures broadly at the National Film Board of Canada

“All of these”

I think my favorite is still “Get A Job” though

4 Likes

Canada rocks them shorts - animated, live action or doc. They have a great collection of them the NFBC website. (Including one that Mary Jo and Bridget riffed on, Phoebe)

2 Likes

NFB has a version of Johnny at the Fair that’s significantly different from the version on MST3K.

1 Like