Should we have a NSFW/Politics subforum?

I dunno. I’ve just so many musician forums get so ridiculous on innoculous threads, it might be a symptom of pent-up rage or something, you know, talking about, say, jazz guitar or Hammond organ or whatever technical thing and all of a sudden there’s an Eruption! Thank you, Ed Van Halen, in retrospect. Yes, IRL, I did play that on the jukebox a few hours ago PDT.

AFAIC, the forum is pretty self-moderating as it is, but it might be amusing to pull back the curtains a bit and see what’s really…

No, that’s a bad idea. The idea is worth discussion, though, even though I don’t think it’s a good idea.

4 Likes

No. Just… just no.
JUST NO!!!

34 Likes

I’ll run to the Hamdingers and find the Deus Ex Machina ASAP.

5 Likes

I’m in the “please no thank you” camp for that. There are plenty of places in the world for that kind of thing, and inviting it into this very chill, relaxing fan community just feels wrong, no matter what your personal political/religious/whatever perspective is.

23 Likes

Yeah. But the longer this forum stays up, the more small crevices are going to appear and there is a not-bad argument to be made for getting it in the open, in some horrid corner.

Please, a thousand times no!

17 Likes

There was a thread that recently that was prone to get political. Personally, I was heartened by how long it remained civil, but it did eventually get dicey and locked.

We seem to be a pretty level-headed, reasonable bunch, but I say why go there? I know that I appreciate this space as a haven of positivity and humor that is much needed.

16 Likes

mst3k209NOpartone
mst3k209NOparttwo

32 Likes

Point taken. Counterpoint: the Discourse is focused on MST3K. If riffing enters the political ring then, sure, a relevant thread would probably work out.

There’s already one locked thread for a sour situation that surfaced. It got locked at just the right time. As the user count grows, that’s gonna be harder to do.

11 Likes

It does seem the MSTies are the exception that proves the rule.

I’m pretty confident there’s not going to be any strife, but just trying to plan ahead.

4 Likes

I also say no. Club MST3K is essentially unmoderated at this point and the worst thing is a member who randomly comes in and posts some political diatribe and then disappears again. This show is fun, and while it’s certainly possible for people to sneak that hateful stuff in, why invite it? I’d rather just say, “Keep out!” and then enforce that, rather than “Come in and put it over there because we hate it.”

15 Likes

No. That’s what the cesspool known as Twitter is for, and there’s no need to re-create that.

Unless you’re talking about Joel v. Mike politics.

19 Likes

Well, see? That’s an area that gets on the subreddit all the time.

I think both of them are against being imprisoned on the SoL, though, pretty sure. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

My feeling is that it’s better left alone. It can be in its own distinct subforum, but once things get heated in there (and they almost inevitably do), there’s a tendency for those feelings to bleed over into other areas of discussion and that can very quickly sour the whole atmosphere of the forum.

12 Likes

There are plenty of other places for those discussions. I agree with everyone who has said that, as wonderful as MSTies generally are, there’s no reason to bring them here, too.

12 Likes

No. We have the whole rest of the internet for political screaming.

19 Likes

There is another thread on this topic here:

And the consensus pretty much was no to politics.

As I said there:

20 Likes

I vote “NO” if it comes up in an existing thread, then let’s keep the discourse within the MST realm.

Otherwise, move that stuff to Reddit, if you please!

5 Likes

Don’t blame me, I voted for Kodos!

10 Likes

I want to like all you folks because we clearly have at least one thing in common. But I’ve already had to rethink too many of my relationships over the past few years, and I would just rather focus on the good things here, like making bad movies watchable. Anything else is just an invitation to

Let’s just show that agreeing to disagree in a civil fashion is possible. The world needs more of that right now.

21 Likes