Show us your most recent mundane, stupid, non-MST3K accomplishment

After years and years I finally got back into reading consistently. I’d pick up a book read and then drop off and forget. I started listening to audiobooks during work and I now got a routine.

12 Likes

I talked about this over in the Super Secret Lounge, but I managed to construct a balloon arch for my best friend’s birthday. It’s her second birthday in the pandemic, couldn’t throw a party, so I was determined to make a big splashy decor statement. I’d never ever made one of these before, and the kit had no instructions, but I figured it out and it turned out great! Very proud and she loved it!!

19 Likes

I’m carving a duck

Quack quack

26 Likes

I picked three of the four practice locks that came with my pick set, giving me reason to keep trying. I suppose I ought to get a Toool membership soon.

12 Likes

Sweet! It’s been ages since I tried to make my own picks and torsion bars out of spring steel, but it is a very fun distraction.

No, I can’t pick anything these days. In theory, I know how the tumblers work in, say, a Kwikset door lock, but it just takes me too long and I have no professional reason to improve my technique.

Brings me back to the Anarchist Cookbook days.

3 Likes

Put together El Gato food truck for the cats.

Even more recent:

19 Likes

Do you call that Cornjob?

9 Likes

I do now…

10 Likes

We’ve had weeks of rain and I was dreading mowing our backyard this morning. But, I took advantage of good weather, conquered the lawn - which took exactly the amount of time for me to listen to the whole of the new Manic Street Preachers album on the iPod - AND got in a brief nap all before noon.

7 Likes

I got a bit more than half of my tiny lawn done today. I am using handheld trimmers rather than an actual lawnmower. I own a manual reel mower, but it doesn’t work in tall grass. I still feel like I accomplished something though. :trophy:

7 Likes

Russian peasant style!

I remember having rented a house with a bunch of neo-hippies in the late 1990s, and after getting complaints about the lawn, me and a buddy found a couple of old, rusty scythes somewhere or other.

We were probably tripping on acid at the time, but we spent an entire afternoon just cutting down that lawn. More or less one blade of grass at a time. Not an efficient way to trim the lawn!

Like some characters out of Tolstoy or something.

Good times!

8 Likes

At this same time period, I was living in a potentially exploding house with several housemates including a drummer on the couch. We, too, were castigated by neighbors who were into stuff like “upkeep” and “property values.”

Fortuitously, we were all sitting on the front porch, smoking a bit of ganja and plotting our revenge, when some fellow ambled by with a lawn mower. We gave him a few bucks and maintained the integrity of the neighborhood.

9 Likes

My word. Ganja indeed! Oh Mister Drysedale! Jethro wants to be a rock star!

Yeah, I guess we all survived, more or less.

Good times.

Dy-no-mite!

5 Likes

See my recent edit to Show us your most recent mundane, stupid, non-MST3K accomplishment - #6 by jimmy_two_times

I don’t think you want to subscribe, but I felt compelled to geek out a bit and give a bit more detail.

Anyway, you have good taste in music, it seems, so knock yourself out.

4 Likes

If we’re playing Chicken here, then get ready for a head-on collision.

4 Likes

I think you’re having a bit of a laugh!

2 Likes

Not much to show (it’s not like we get a trophy or anything lol) but my team has won the pub quiz 2 weeks in a row and we’re just about to go for the third. I’ve been on fire the last two weeks, especially in the music rounds although there has been a fair few 90s tracks which are my wheelhouse. That said, the number of points I’ve won over the past 15 years from 80s music tracks thanks to the GTA: Vice City soundtrack cannot be understated. :grin:

7 Likes
2 Likes

It’s not not safe for work! :grin:

4 Likes

I used to play Wesley Willis music close to closing time to clear everyone out when I worked at a CD store way back in the day. Sometimes it would backfire and someone would like it as much as I did!

3 Likes