Show us your most recent mundane, stupid, non-MST3K accomplishment

Huh. I wonder if that could be applied to a similar situation I have going on with my microwave.

2 Likes

I went through Facebook and systematically blocked every single friend of a former friend.

Don’t really know why: just wanted to limit the chances of this “person” hearing word of some of my extremely rude public posts directed at her on the FB.

Took a while, but I was bored.

2 Likes

This may be related. Plate of shrimp.

I was walking with my work mufti on to a credit union’s ATM, and some occupier or possible inhabitant of a car gives a muffled “You’re an a&&hole.”

Normally, yes, I’ve lived in big cities a bunch, and whatever. It’s almost never a subtle thing.

But not in this neighborhood, one doesn’t hear that too much. Especially to a guy wearing steel-toed shoes, Carharrt work pants, a wifebeater, and three chains around his neck near a construction site.

I think it’s a badge of honor: I’m starting to erode the social fabric of this enemy, and phase two can begin in about two months or so.

/* ETA, yes I’m using “mufti” correctly. I didn’t have my hi-vis vest on or anything.

(i)But also, I caught the eye of a nice young(er) woman when I broke my week fast of alcohol in order to shoot pool with my idiot friend. How?

I can only conclude, one must order relatively expensive whiskies, and the ordinary politenesses, and treat all folks equitably.

I’ll see her around again, I’m sure. Seen her before, same place, but this time she had her eye on me, which is nice for the old ego. I don’t “pick up” women like some player out of a 1950s Melville movie, but it’s just nice. Comfortable. And, no, she’s in her thirties I’d guess, so it’s not some perv thing on my part.

It’s not actually anything. Just people to whom one becomes habituated.

(ii) Yet again, in the same toilet, I broke another piece of man equipment. Last time it was a belt buckle, which I still haven’t fixed; fortunately I have several other full grain leather belts, so not a problem. This time it was a St. Mary medallion. I don’t do well with intricate manœuvres with pieces of jewelry and such…I am a good musician, and know how to use my hands for stuff, and expertly, but not at that level of granularity. Plus, no fingernails. Well, you know, none that extend beyond the cuticle. Meticulous about that, I am, because nothing hurts like getting an errant fingernail caught between the keys and breaking right off. All practical. Bartender fixed it right up for me. Stupid clasps…but good bartender. */

2 Likes

I saw a small pickup, it was white, probably mid-aughts, a domestic, with a license plate that began with the three letters “ZAT” yesterday on the way into work.

I was filled with a sense of foreboding most of the ride in, but everything was fine and the only waters I found came from my sweat glands and a portable water bottle.

2 Likes

Needed a single crochet hook, walked out with $80 worth of yarn for $25. Hah!!

3 Likes

So … is the accomplishment that you got the yarn on sale or that you didn’t buy more? LOL! And more importantly, did you remember to buy the crochet hook?

4 Likes

Hmmm…late response…probably too late…but just another data point. I’ve been happy with Western Digitals in the 4GB TB size. Just about big enough.

I’ve never paid more than $50 or maybe $70 for external drives in that size range, IIRC, with just USB (USB3 and USB2)…don’t know anything about Macs proprietary connectors, though, and don’t have any machine with built in USB-C ports.

Plenty fast enough for watching movies, or other media content, and I’m content to just wait while copying files, etc.

They work fine…spinning HDDs, not the SSDs I use inside my machines. But I do clone/sync the contents of my two main external drives for extra redundancy. No RAID setup or anything fancy, just manually sync the drives.

2 Likes

Both! Both is good!

And yep, I got the hook I needed (8mm), and I picked up a 2.75mm and a 10mm while I was at it. Had a coupon. :wink:

4 Likes

Ended up going with a Crucial X6. Ran me about $75, plus an extra $5 or so for that dongle whatsit which made plugging it into the Mac possible. It stows away nicely in the tiny drawer under my rolling printer stand. Though keeping it fixed in place when it’s plugged in can be a little tricky. Trying to get better with that. :crossed_fingers:

So far, I have cleared a precious 45 GB on the laptop. So it’s like a birthday AND a Silver Wedding Anniversary combined!! :partying_face: :birthday:

2 Likes

Replaced the broiler element this morning. The part wasn’t back ordered for a month after all, it arrived the next week. I hope this one lasts fourteen years as well.

4 Likes

I found out First Deadly Sin wasn’t the only movie Bruce Willis was an extra in. Thanks, Cinema Snob 1982 year in film video!

2 Likes

My boss just texted me at 830am asking where to get the best margarita at Disney World. I am both proud of them living their best life and highly amused that I am the person they thought to ask.

I am counting this as an accomplishment!

6 Likes

Speaking as a huge Disney nut – Mexican pavilion at EPCOT. They have (or at least had, a margarita bar)

3 Likes

That was my answer. The avocado margarita at La Cava de Tequila. Accept no subsitutes!! :grin:

(Best friend and I are complete Disney Fiends. Pre pandemic we went at least once a year for runDisney events. Wooo!)

2 Likes

Yep, husband and I went once a year for Food and Wine. Good times. Now with all of the changes, we’re not sure what we will do. Friends of ours are making noises about getting a reservation at the Chef’s Table at V&A for next year. I guess we’ll have to figure it out by then.

1 Like

Food and Wine is my fave festival, followed very closely by the Festival of the Arts. We’re scheduled to go down in January 2023 for Marathon Weekend followed by the Castaway Cay Challenge…we’ve literally been rescheduling this trip for the last 3 years. Our poor Disney TA!

EDIT: And yeah, a lot of those changes suck…hopefully most of them won’t affect our usual MO for Disney.

1 Like

Been here for a year, according to the forum. Guess that’s somethin’. :smiley:

7 Likes

A very important something, too!

2 Likes

Wow, I’ve still got three weeks to go! Then it will be time for

a large cake with white frosting and way too many candles

4 Likes

For some reason, the automated routing system has become effed for the past week, so I’m racking up extra hours to hand out routes to private drivers on the job. It sounds sinister, but it’s not: supply and demand and stuff like that.

Which is good, because now I can make my nut to the credit union, do an advance draw on next week’s paycheck, and maybe still have enough left over to buy a couple of books I’ve had my eye on.

As well as spend my requisite 60 dollars a few times a week after work shooting pool and hanging with the usual suspects at Club Scum. What? I don’t drink the top shelf liquors: just Bushmills or a Johnnie Black, plus a cheap beer (not as a “chaser”…I actually like to taste whiskies). It just adds up each time, and I get involved in conversations and such over a few hours. And always am tipping right, so it’s a small price to pay for needed socialization.

And my friendly local pharmacy refilled my Xanax prescription 16 hours ahead of their predicted time.

And I can go pick it up right now, and buy a few tasty beverages to accompany my daily meal of some baguette and one of two varieties of French blue cheeses. (Note to the impressionable or inexperienced: don’t combine alprazolam with alcohol, as a general rule. It probably won’t kill you, but it’s not a great idea.)

Winning!

2 Likes