Show us your most recent mundane, stupid, non-MST3K accomplishment

I am basically blind without my glasses. Now everyone wants the official photos without glasses. I just love it when they say “take your glasses off and look at the camera.” SERIOUSLY?? Which part of I now can’t see you are you not getting? So my driver’s license, passport, all of 'em I have this vague staring off into the distance vibe about them.

8 Likes

Finally put one of my little projects up for public scrutiny and submitted my work to a gamejam for the first time.
https://coglestop.itch.io/shields-up

5 Likes

OMG, the first time they made me take off my glasses, they said, “Look at the blue dot on the camera.”

My response? “I can’t even see the camera!”

They don’t think these things through sometimes…

7 Likes

When I renew my license and they do the eye test, they always ask “do you want to try it without your glasses so that it isn’t required on your license?”

To which I reply “Nope, I won’t pass like that”

6 Likes

As a fellow glasses wearer, I definitely know all those feelings whenever I have to renew my license as well.

2 Likes

So Say We All.

3 Likes

Something about those pedals disturbs me greatly.

3 Likes

Hey, nice! What’d’joo use to build it?

2 Likes

Godot, mostly. Used Aseprite and Gimp for the gfx. Sfxr, Audacity and LMMS for the audio.

3 Likes

So you had to wait for your tools?

6 Likes

Yeah. I accomplished including this sentence in my active vocabulary.

And I woke up today, so that’s something. I promised to not beat my carpool driver to death, so that’s also something.

1 Like

That’s actually the baked-in joke of Godot. “The game engine you’ve been waiting for.”

2 Likes

SIS. The license picture I was replacing was taken after I’d spent 3 hours standing in the rain outside the DMV, because in April 2021 you couldn’t go in the government building until it was your turn. Never mind the drowned-rat aspect; it’s the “I AM smiling” crazy eyes that were really unflattering.

And I went to the trouble of bringing in everything short of a blood sample for the Real ID, too, so I’ll be looking at this pic for the next 8 years.

2 Likes

Heck, they SPECIFICALLY chose that name because they figured the engine would never truly be finished. There’s always a new version on the horizon after all.

3 Likes

True dat. IIRC, while they had their first official release almost 10 years ago, they were working on it for quite some time prior.

2 Likes

I snatched one of those pesky fruit flies out of the air on my first try. Non-dominant hand, even.

Next stop, the All-Valley!

Proud The Karate Kid GIF

9 Likes

Radical! That’s darned cool!

Next step? Do it with chopsticks! :wink:

2 Likes

It’s a quasi-non-MST3K related achievement… but I created the bulk of this track during the last live steam, so I am hoping this week’s stream will be similarly productive :smiley:

4 Likes

Well, I think I paid about $10 extra each for two CDs of new age/mellow music (Kitarō and Hilary Stagg) as gifts for my carpool driver so they would arrive before work on Monday.

But I splurged for myself and got some different work gloves. I don’t know if they’ll be any good, but we’ll see. Yes, we do get free varieties on the job, but as a piano picker, and a man with a slow hand, I like to save the sensitivity on my fingertips when possible, so worth a shot. Haven’t used this brand/style before. They look adequate, but we’ll see.

/* oh, late edit: last evening I opened up the cellophone to a virgin synthetic kitchen sponge and cleaned off the year’s worth of crust fro my travel coffee mug. It was vile, but it was time! I think I also cleaned an opaque glass and one of my stemless clear glasses I like to use for whiskeys.

Regular world-beater, here! Cleaned (well…“cleaned”) as many as three glasses/mugs yesterday evening!

Top of the world, ma! */

2 Likes

Ah. Got my Kitarō CD as a gift for my rideshare. By USPS. Supposed to have been delivered by AMZN, but whatever.

Apparently there’s a CD and a DVD included. With my purchase, I have a digital authorized download of the content, but I didn’t feel like going through AMZN’s portal, so yet again (deep sigh!) I just yet again on a fresh Linux box to Handbrake the thing.

Sorry if this runs afoul of the rules, and I’m probably going to watch the video content at most once (not my favorite music) but I thought I should see the content once in case my rideshare asks me about it. I’ll likely delete it afterwards, just for hygienic purposes. Not my first time at the ripping rodeo, but it’s been a while since I’ve plugged in the external optical disc computer machine peripheral.

I guess that’s an accomplishment.

2 Likes