Show us your most recent mundane, stupid, non-MST3K accomplishment

I’m not pregnant! Pretty sure! Yay!

3 Likes

I discovered a really keen way to get to the crud above the gum line…tie a few knots into your floss…it cuts through the gunk like a chainsaw. The idea is patented, so don’t get caught by the dental cops.

1 Like

Most recent accomplishment: completely disregard @Spotty_Boots’s advice about dental hygiene!

:slight_smile:

No, after about 75 minutes in the chair this morning, yes, I could hear when the little scraper the hygienist…nay, “my” hygienist!..stopped getting any traction on the inner surfaces…

What are you on about anyway? I don’t know what kind of dental floss you use, but I find, when wielded with a sturdy hand, scraping surfaces and up to the paltry 1mm or so above the gum line seems adequate!

I volunteer you as a subject for a training video. Waterpik with Pikpocket attachment at pressure level 3.

You know…your idea is…somehow appealing…but it has not been approved.

We have ways of testing your conviction, Dr. Jones! Crystal skull teeth ways of the covenant!

Shall we increase pressurings of the water to four? Nein!

Yes…yes, I think increase is better!

Either you’re mad or a genius, or both.

But, you are thinking of dental hygiene, so gold star very much.

2 Likes

Yeah, no waterpik, I use the detachable shower head -

roddy piper wrestling GIF by WWE

You really gotta reach those nooks and crannies!

2 Likes

I finally got around to fixing that downstairs toilet with the leaky stopper and handle you have to jiggle. It took me all of 15 minutes to replace both, so I probably should have done it a year ago. Next up today, I get to replace the garbage disposal. That will probably not be an easy 15 minute job, but I think I can use the flange from the old one, and make it a bit less painful than normal.

5 Likes

Just realized some hot sauce I bought at Sprouts is made by this guy.

Check In The Offspring GIF by Audacy

2 Likes

I put the engine skid plate on my Jeep yesterday, and the fuel tank skid plate today. I had to remove and reinstall the trailer hitch as part of the process. That thing is very heavy.

8 Likes

Well, round 1 goes to the garbage disposal. The thing was so rusted it took me an hour to get it off, and only after I resorted to pounding on it with a hammer. The rusted flange is no good, so I replaced the entire sink mount. I had not even really looked at the power cord, but it is an ancient piece of garbage. The plug itself simply is not safe, so I need to get a new cord. Unfortunately I screwed around so much that the hardware store is closed, so I can’t get the cord until morning. Oh well, the hard part is done (I really hope), and I should be able to wire the cord up and hang the new disposal unit before breakfast.

4 Likes

I often keep an old bottle of pickle juice in the fridge for rusted and mineralized freeze ups…I don’t know if you’ve tried using it, or if you even had room (turkey baster?), but it does wonders to free up locked plumbing threads…plus, you get bonus pickles that you have to eat before you can use the juice.

4 Likes

Bonus pickles really are the best pickles.

3 Likes

My attempt at Wednesday’s Nero tombstone :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

In the ongoing saga of TheHippy vs. the garbage disposal, famous last words were spoken.

The garbage disposal had different ideas. I was down at the hardware store, just after it opened, and got my new cord in record time. I get the new plug wired on, lifted the garbage disposal into place and got it all hooked up, and flipped the breaker on. The breaker immediately flipped back, and my wife said the thing tried to start even though the switch was in the off position. Okay, I thought, I wired the switch backwards, even though I went white to white and black to black. Just need to drop the garbage disposal again, rewire it, and slap it back on. I had Mother’s Day activities for which to prepare, and it is the only thing on that breaker, so I left it for that evening. Garbage Disposal 2 - Hippy 0

Of course, you know where this is going. That evening I dropped the Garbage Disposal, rewired, hefted it back into place, flipped the breaker, good so far. Flipped the switch, it throws the breaker. At this point I either have a bad switch, or a bad cord from the switch to the unit. My Dad put it in 20 years ago, which explained why it was wired backwards, so I decided to replace the entire switch, but that would have to wait until the next morning when I could get back to the hardware store. I decided I did not want to work on Monday anyway, so I took the day off to play electrician. Garbage Disposal 3 - Hippy 0

One trip to the hardware store, 1 new cord, and 1 new switch later and I am happy to announce:

The garbage disposal has finally been defeated. Take that you stupid garbage disposal!

Hippy 100 - Garbage Disposal 3

9 Likes

Well, it wasn’t a runaway score like Hippy 100 > GD 3.

But I finally figured out a use for the countdown timer on my daily driver watch. Normally, don’t need it. But now, I do!

Uh…thinking of something cool…to…time cool stuff. Not really, but it will be useful at work since we’re now holding each delivery contractor to a strict twenty minutes, and really start yelling at them when they’re five minutes out. And the pressure increases.

“HEY! You have thirty four seconds left on this world, muthas! If you’re not OTR in 26 seconds, you’re wrong! Do it! Do it now!”

See? Fun and useful! And I’m officialy allowed to push their raggedy behinds as hard as I want when they’re approaching T and T+, just like in the good old days.

It’s a whole thing…we had to negotiate with our contractors…but we have a new Ops manager, and his word is, we burn them down, no matter what it takes.

Politely! Of course!

Firm but fair.

And all thanks to the precision movement of a quartz-based mechanism. One can probably get one with Snoopy or Felix the Cat or something at Walmart! But mine’s better! It has a countdown timer! That means I don’t have to do math, which is hard!

Ham! I love it.

(/* Also, I “accomplished” figuring out that our new OpsMgr is a nerd who is an idiot and has no idea how to achieve ideal metrics, not including 100% OTD, which always happens on my watch. Whatevs. All I know is I get to be mean to people on the megaphone…which enhances creativity…but is exactly the way a useless bean_counter like NewOps would measure success. He won’t last six months here, but good for him for trying, I guess. */)

4 Likes

It isn’t exactly my accomplishment, but my daughter graduated from the Language Studies/Interpreter Training program for American Sign Language at Southwest Illinois College today. She would not exist if not for me, so it is an indirect accomplishment, and I am pretty dang proud of her. Here is a pic of us just before it went down:

She’s the one in the cap and gown, and the other cute one is her daughter.

12 Likes

I failed to immediately spot the hippie in that photo, until I saw the sandals.

I bought my daughter a laptop when she was around 12, figuring she’d disappear into online surly teendom somewhere, and she used it to teach herself a bunch of ASL. So much for cynicism.

7 Likes

Yeah, I am not in my traditional tie dye, and my hair is (mostly) pulled back. I had to look semi-respectable for the occasion. I’m just glad my wife did not make me put on slacks and shoes.

5 Likes

Jody “daughter of Carol Burnett” Hamilton liked a post of mine on Spoutible.

And she finds my cat adorable.

3 Likes

Do you listen to Stephanie Miller? Jody is a regular.

2 Likes

meryl streep GIF

2 Likes

Nothing really grows but Jody on the show…with Stephie!

3 Likes