Sigh ... Can We Talk About the Post Episode Streaming?

OK. I’m just going to call it as I see it. I know everyone has different tastes and maybe what they do is some people’s jam. But when a new episode ends and they start up the post episode Q&A session it just …

It just isn’t INTERESTING.

There’s so much they could be talking about. The writer’s room discussions on the episode? The decision making process for selecting Mordrid? Skit ideas that were left on the cutting room floor? Backstory on the process… Things that went wrong but they made it work somehow… Last second inspirations or annotations of how some riffs made it into the episode… Something. ANYTHING?

But instead we keep getting what amounts to 1.5 hours of … kind of … noodling. The post show stuff ends up being almost 95% a bunch of banter and I am left feeling like I listened to Rollergator’s soundtrack.

Maybe they’re trying to spitball through these things so they feel organic and relaxed, I don’t know. But the end result … at least for me so far … is leaving me cold. I wish they’d flip the script and use a little more structure so there’s something actually worth staying to listen to.

9 Likes

Yeah I’ll admit, I bailed on 1302 and 1303’s post-show discussions, I think 1302 was whole and 1303 was partial, because these are loooooooong discussions and there’s not a lot of fun to them

5 Likes

I agree. In the absence of any special guests from outside the show, it would be more entertaining to get some more inside behind-the-scenes info.

4 Likes

I mean - it would be so much better if instead of taking so much time joking around and stuff if they just jumped right in to the questions and the mail bag. They usually only answer like 3 questions in the whole hour … but if they got down to it and didn’t let themselves get distracted with stuff other people don’t really care about then they could answer 10-15 questions. That would be way more interesting even without ‘special guests’ or anything.

3 Likes

I do think the live premieres need a little spicing up somehow. It seemed like there were bigger plans at first, but now they’re essentially just Zoom Q&As with widely variable audio quality. (why can’t the show but everyone decent mics? They’re not that expensive lol)

I do enjoy the chats, but they could use some variety or something.

C. Courtney Joyner, though, is a delight. What a wonderful and nice dude.

3 Likes

I dunno, I’m in the “what they do is my jam” column. A chill, conversational tone is a nice way to unwind at the end of a show.

12 Likes

I enjoy it (haven’t seen this one yet in full), but if you don’t, that’s fine. I would also enjoy making of facts too.

I might be easy to please.

4 Likes

To be fair, a lot of people do care about Barbara Crampton, Courtney Joyner, etc. Which is great for them. But I’m really not a hardcore film buff or collector and thus not as familiar with these folks. I have the same deal with The Mads Are Back. My mind tends to wander in and out of the post-game discussions because they’re very inside baseball. :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

I’m solidly in the love it column? Especially for tonight’s episode.

I do wish that I had the spare cash to get everyone identical Heil PR-40s and USB DACs… it’d likely make keeping audio levels consistent much easier for the team for all live-stream events.

2 Likes

I do like the post-show. I wasn’t trying to say above that it isn’t fun, but I can think of ways to make it a little more entertaining.

3 Likes

I’ve found they go one of two ways. Either everyone goes completely off the rails and there’s chaos and joking and hilarity, or we get a nice mellow discussion about behind-the-scenes stuff. Today’s was the latter, and I enjoyed it. There was a lot of full-steam geekery all around, and the guy who wrote Mordred seems like my kind of people.

7 Likes

Agree. I actually wish I could have made it through last night’s wrap up because the guest was interesting but I was so tired and just fell asleep once they started reading kickstarter names. On the wrap up shows where everyone is talking/laughing at the same time I just find it hard to watch and listen to as it’s just a cacophony of noise.

2 Likes

Due to time zone differences, I now watch the Experiment before the live stream, then catch up with the chat the following day.
I quite like the chat, and the post-Mordrid one was especially enjoyable, thanks to the presence of C.Courtney Joyner.

5 Likes

You’re not alone. I’ve been mostly opting out of these since the Kickstarter. They make me feel like I’m sitting alone at a restaurant next to a table of very funny friends, eavesdropping sadly on all their inside jokes and banter, wishing I was part of it. :sweat_smile:

I think I do better with panels, Q&A, and other more structured events that have a defined role for the audience - I loved the Jackbox play-along, for instance. I’m sure plenty of people do get into the casual hangs too, though, and it’s probably just a different strokes situation.

4 Likes

I hear you guys and you know, a little more behind the scenes info would be interesting. But, I am in the “i find them greatly entertaining, perhaps even on par with the episode itself” side . If everyone liked the same thing, the world would have as much fun stuff.

5 Likes

Which is fair enough. Different strokes for different folks. But as far as I’m concerned? Between work and other online meetings I have all week long? I get more than my belly full of idle streaming “chit-chat” already, thanks. I don’t want another hour+ of it after an MST episode. That’s probably why I have little patience for it. It seems to be crossing my threshold after a whole week of other Zoom meetings where other people’s irrelevant chit-chat is preventing everyone from getting work done. In a Zoom meeting I don’t want chit-chat. I want structure that gets to the point, delivers the objective, and then ENDS the meeting. :slight_smile: I suppose that’s carrying over here.

4 Likes

Do the episodes wind you up?

3 Likes

I’ll admit that I don’t want the post-show stuff at all. I tried the first one and it didn’t do much for me. I pretty much never am able to join in the live show and watching people chatting after the fact isn’t really… all that much fun. So I just watch the episode and enjoy it.

2 Likes

I enjoy the aftershow quite a lot, especially when they have a special guest like last night.

3 Likes

I enjoy the post-shows. Some of them are just giggle fests with only a little behind-the-scenes stuff, others can get more in-depth. One thing we can do is ask better questions, too. If you have something you want to know specifically … ask! And make sure to remind people to vote on your question. @mattmcg22 usually uses the questions that have votes.

@The_Riddler I can totally see your point that after a day of work Zoom meetings, watching another one can be the straw that breaks the camel’s back. Not sure how that can be fixed though. The setup with Jonah and the cast in the studio kind of broke that pattern a bit, but they also broke my eardrums!

Which brings me to my last point, that if I had a complaint, it would be the audio levels. Kelsey was so soft last night I couldn’t hear her at all. Emily always comes in way too hot. I’m sure they do audio checks before the start, so I’m not sure what happens. But yes, something that fixes the audio issues would be nice. Other than that, I find the content entertaining and for the most part interesting.

3 Likes