Sigh ... Can We Talk About the Post Episode Streaming?

What I’m hearing is that they need more structure to their unstructured content.

5 Likes

:person_shrugging: I like my questions just fine. Can’t help it if no one else does.

Of course, it’s not like the glory days of the first live show, when I flummoxed most of the cast by asking what their Chinese Zodiacs were. But still…

1 Like

One question we can stop asking is “that movie was stupid and you worked on it. what was it like to work on such a stupid movie?”.

3 Likes

Poly, I think you may be confusing me with someone else.

2 Likes

Something else to keep in mind with the questions. for events where they have a special guest, like C Courtney Joyner or Barbara Crampton they are going to want to focus the conversation on their guest. On nights when they don’t have a special guest, maybe that’s the time to ask more of the tech-y side of writer’s rooms, or legal machinations to get films.

4 Likes

WHOOOOOOOO AAAAAAAAAAARE YOOOOOUUUUUUU?

3 Likes

I do sometimes feel that the post show chats are a bit like being invited to a cast party for a show you weren’t in - they’re all having a great time, but I’m just kind of over in the corner eating cheese puffs.

6 Likes

What is best in life, Conan? Sitting in the corner eating cheese puffs and listening to interesting people talk about interesting stuff.

I can see why some people aren’t into it, but I am.

5 Likes

This is a totally fair point and I’m trying to articulate why this route isn’t engaging me as an audience member.

I agree with this, or at least a minuscule percentage of questions submitted. I don’t think a question I send in has a realistic chance of getting seen, let alone answered, and I don’t vote myself because it’s too many to keep up with while I’m also trying to watch the movie. It does also seem like the questions are used more as jumping-off points for the cast to just jam and see what happens rather than pure Q&A.

Just an idea, but is there a way to get the fans more involved? Maybe if there was even one fan or community member on camera, asking questions or being part of the discussion, it might help the others turn a little more outward? It might be fun to hear stories from a select few fans or let them be part of the conversation, just to make it more distinct from the episode experience.

I’m good with it if the answer is no, though. Maybe this is just one item on the Gizmoplex buffet that I bypass, and that’s OK.

4 Likes

I ask a question as it occurs to me, before it goes down the memory hole and while it’s still relevant to the episode at hand. There’s no reason a special guest couldn’t answer if they wanted to. Even if I don’t know much about that guest and haven’t set aside 15 minutes for research before I start typing out a question. But, again, I don’t make the rules here.

1 Like

This 100%. To me, the live aspect of it is nice when it’s laid back. They can add some additional content that is behind the scenes as a non live event…it would be short, concise and to the point. Every live event I’ve witnessed is laid back and I’m okay with that.

1 Like

I do enjoy the live stream Q&A’s, and my favorites have been those with special guests. I really liked getting the behind the scenes info from Barbara and Courtney, and loved that Courtney is a huge fan of the show. That said, I would not be opposed to more structure being added, just don’t constrain the cast too much. Connor and Kelsey have both really cracked me up when they get going on something crazy, and Tim is also always fun to have on the live stream as well. The volume levels do need work, though. I usually have the volume up pretty loud for the episode, and have to remember to turn it down when the livestream starts, or I am likely to get blown out by someone’s mic. And of course, Matt needs a big sign over his monitor that says “YOU ARE ON MUTE!”

1 Like

Would be cool to see some fans answering questions the cast and crew might have.

Perhaps they show up in the hexfield viewscreen and interact with the SOL crew.

Or go toe-to-toe with the professionals to live riff a surprise clip, realizing far too late (and on camera) that it was a terrible idea to even try to compete. WHY DID I EVEN THINK OF THIS I MUST HATE MYSELF GAH.

(I’ll see myself out now.)

5 Likes

I will say my favorites of all the post show chats were the ones with special guests - Jackie Neyman Jones, C. Courtney Joyner, the Munchie designer (can’t remember his name). I like the inside scoop they can give.

The ones that just go off the rails with only cast members are less enjoyable to me.

The Barbara Crampton one was the worst in my opinion. She didn’t really seem to have any inside scoop about Robot Wars, and it just seemed to drag on.

As for the questions asked, I’m with @TheBindingPolymer. Those “why was this movie so stupid?” and “this movie had $ACTOR in it - what’s your favorite different role by $ACTOR?” type questions are…not so interesting to me. The question last night that destroyed the myth that Mordrid was completely written as Dr. Strange and then needed to be changed was primo Q&A material.

6 Likes

Ken Hall, and he designed the hobgoblins from Hobgoblins. He didn’t design Munchie, and I think you should apologize for saying he did. :poop:

3 Likes

You’re right, it was Hobgoblins. My bad.

2 Likes

As I think about it more, I can see where they’d benefit from a good editing. But of course it’s easy for me to spend someone else’s money to hire a job I’m not qualified for.

2 Likes

I really enjoy the after shows. I love how it is laid back and they are joking around and having fun.

3 Likes

Absolutely this. (A) They don’t answer enough questions. (B) They hardly even answer the questions that they DO answer. :slight_smile:

More the former than the latter, unfortunately. Empty giggle-fests aren’t good listening material for me, and so if that’s what they’re going to do then it would be good if they would say that’s all they’re going to do in advance so I can just move on. I hate having to listen to the pointless blather long enough to know if they’re actually going to say something meaningful or not.

I get that when you’re trying to be extemporaneous you can’t do it in advance, so they really need to have 2 ‘segments’…

Segment 1: The Q&A. Be respectful to any guests you may have AND respect your audience here and get down to business. Burn through the viewer mail. Answer the viewer questions. Interview your guest like a professional. You can do all this and still be ‘chill’ while at the same time not going off the rails and wasting people’s time.

Segement 2: Pointless blibber blabber. OK - now that you’ve respected your audience and not forced your guest to sit around listening to you chat about nothing NOW you can all sit around and tell your little jokes and noodle. For those of the audience who like that sort of thing they can listen to it if they want … but those of us who do not find it entertaining to sit and listen to other people’s friends chilling together (while ignoring you) we can move on.

4 Likes

Oh man, I am just WOUND by the end of these. End credits start rolling and I’m just twine on a broom handle.

I thought I’d be able to come up with a bit when I started writing this reply, but nothing’s coming. Can we bail? Is that cool?

2 Likes