Single Random Facts

I’ve visited Punxsutawney Phil before. Not on Groundhog’s Day, though. At the time of my visit, there were, I think, five groundhogs living in their special habitat inside the Punxsutawney Memorial Library. It’s a pretty neat setup. The officials pick one of the groundhogs somewhat randomly to do the honors of being “Phil” for the ceremony, usually based on its mood and general temperament.

The movie Groundhog Day was filmed in Woodstock, IL, by the way. Punxsutawney was chosen initially, of course, but they couldn’t accommodate the logistical needs of the film crew.

4 Likes

I was literally listening to a podcast that brought his reign up last night.

3 Likes

A group of groundhogs is called a “coterie”, and they are also known as “whistle-pigs”, for their behavior of whistling at prospective mates. They would fit right into a New York construction site in that regard.

4 Likes

Too bad Charlotte the groundhog wasn’t :frowning:

3 Likes

A fact that Woodstock now celebrates every year with its own faux porcine prognosticator, “Woodstock Willie”.

https://woodstockgroundhog.org/

4 Likes

There was a local-to-Bloomington, IN show I used to watch when I was growing up called The Curio Shop. It was mostly about weird and interesting stuff in the region, but one episode was about “Bloomington Bob” the groundhog, who appeared as a bear puppet with plastic vampire teeth and ate the host.

4 Likes

Easily confused.

4 Likes

80-90 percent of schizophrenics smoke and it appears to help treat their schizophrenia.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Wow – so doctors write out all prescriptions in Russian? Who knew?

6 Likes

Her name is Zephany Nurse.

3 Likes

4 Likes

When Grace Kelly married Prince Ranier there was a big Hollywood hullabaloo about her marrying into genuine royalty - which lasted until people started finding out how big the Principality was.

But, still: Monte Carlo.

3 Likes

Did you guys know that Peter Graves went to the University of Minnesota?

8 Likes

Shut the front door.

Really??

4 Likes

100% truth!

4 Likes

He went on to kill his own brother and his brother’s clone, and a couple of old people !

He tampered in God’s domain… :frowning:

6 Likes

And he kept saying “I’m Peter Graves.”

6 Likes

Did you know that Peter Graves does not have a grave?

5 Likes

Big deal. I don’t either and you don’t hear anyone talking about it.

8 Likes