Single Random Facts

Well, you’re talking about it.

Now we’re all thinking about it.

Way to bring the room down.

Can’t trust cannibalistic squids I tell ya.

5 Likes

That one I have heard…but not about the “non-addictive nicotine-based treatments.” Maybe something like Chantix/varenicline blocking nicotine receptors or…whatever it does.

It’s a strange world!

Random observation, perhaps if smoking really does alleviate symptoms…that could signal a return of the “smokeless ashtray,” and they could get a break from some of the usual bans on lighting up. Almost certainly not, but it’s kind of depresssing if otherwise possible functional people are sort of housebound, and maybe susceptible to agoraphobia induced by habit.

No, I don’t have any knowledge, just think it’s an interesting fact.

1 Like

I still prefer him to Wayne Brady

2 Likes

Monte Carlo makes a good sandwich though. As well as some look-ahead predicitive power, possible.

Wayne Brady…he played football, right? Pretty sure. No, he’s the guy who hosts Family Feud nowadays. Well, same thing.

1 Like

The wreck of the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor has been leaking oil “tears” steadily every day since it was sunk in 1941. A common story told about them is that the tears will only stop when the last survivor of the sinking passes away. I don’t know if they’ve stopped or not but that day is today. My respects.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/02/us/lou-conter-last-pearl-harbor-survivor-dies?cid=ios_app

8 Likes

That damn Tojo finally got him!

4 Likes

Unfortunately, there’s still about 500,000 gallons of fuel oil in Arizona’s bunkers, so the “tears” likely will continue until one of three things happens:

• The oil runs out. Not expected for another 540 years or so at the current rate.
  • The hull collapses from corrosion and erosion, releasing the remaining oil in an environmental disaster. 150 years or less.
  • The respectful but necessary disturbance of a war grave to stabilize the hull and either pump the oil out or permanently seal it away somehow.

And Arizona is hardly the only sunken WWII ship this is happening to — just the most visible.

…drip…drip…drip…

4 Likes

Popcorn predates the indigenous domestication of corn.

Indigenous people of MesoAmerica would have had difficulty surviving without this important Mexican grain. Prior to the domestication of corn, its wild predecessor, teosinte sustained native populations. This early form of corn had kernels that were too hard to eat and even too hard to grind. The rock hard outer kernel housed water and starch. As it was heated, pressure would build up inside until it burst. Indigenous people realized this and subsequently, popcorn became an important food source. It is believed that by 5,000 BC this wild grain had been domesticated and cultivated

5 Likes

The first 3D feature film, Bwana Devil was co-written and co-directed by Arch Oboler, writer and director of Arch Oboler’s The Bubble, an Arch Oboler film, was also co-written and co-directed by Bob Clampett… Looney Tunes’ Bob Clampett. It’s a very bad movie about man-eating lions in Africa, so why Bob Clampett was involved, I have no idea.

4 Likes

According to Wikipedia, Clampett worked on a prologue to the movie:

M.L. Gunzburg presents 3D, a short film produced by Bob Clampett and featuring Beany and Cecil, was screened preceding the film. Long thought lost, the short rejoined Bwana Devil for screenings at the Egyptian Theater in 2003 and 2006.

3 Likes

You can’t make me stop thinking about Jed Clampett, no matter how hard you try.

7 Likes

5 Likes

They had a cement pond. I don’t have a cement pond. I envy them.

6 Likes

“JEEEEEEEEEEEEED!” “JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!”

4 Likes

If we never stopped thinking about Jed Clampett, we’d be better off. Darn tootin’.

ptui ding

3 Likes

From the IMDB Trivia page for Superman:

According to Sir Roger Moore’s autobiography, he witnessed Christopher Reeve walking through the canteen at Pinewood Studios in full Superman costume, oblivious to the swooning female admirers he left in his wake. When he did the same thing dressed as Clark Kent, no one paid any attention. Very interestingly, something similar happened with Harold Lloyd: when he wasn’t filming movies and removed his iconic round glasses nobody paid attention to him at the point that no one recognized him as the famous actor he was. Lloyd was inspiration for Superman’s alter ego Clark Kent, specially in the detail of the glasses to hide himself of the public eye in his civilian identity.

6 Likes

The Superman that could have been:

Contenders for Superman included Burt Reynolds, John Travolta, Steve McQueen, Harrison Ford, James Brolin, Lyle Wagonner, Sylvester Stallone, Robert Redford, Clint Eastwood, James Caan, Warren Beatty, Caitlyn (then Bruce) Jenner, John Voight, Nick Nolte, Patrick “Beyond Atlantis” Wayne, and Jeff East, who ended up playing young Clark in Smallville.

Contenders for Lex Luthor were Dustin Hoffman, Jack Nicholson, George Kennedy, and Gene Wilder.

Lesley Ann Warren, Carrie Fisher and Stockard Channing all did screen tests as Lois Lane. Other contenders were Natalie Wood, Liza Manelli, Shirley MacLaine and Barbara Streisand.

Jack Klugman, Eddie Albert and Keenan Wynn all had to drop out at the last minute as Perry White. Other Perry White contenders were Jason Robards, Walter Matthau, Ed Asner, Eli Wallach and Martan Balsam.

Goldie Hawn and Ann-Margret both wanted too much money to be Miss Tessmacher.

Charlton Heston was considered as Jor-El, as was Orson Welles.

Joanne Woodward was considered as Lara.

Christopher Lee was cast as Zod, but had moved to the U.S. for tax purposes and didn’t want to risk going back to England, where the Krypton set was built.

Caroline “Stella Star” Munro turned down the role of Ursa to be in The Spy Who Loved Me and always regretted it.

Jessica Lange turned down an offer to be either Lois Lane or Miss Tessmacher.

Peter Boyle auditioned for Otis.

Paul Newman was offered his choice of Superman, Lex Luthor or Jor-El for $4 million and turned them all down.

Joan Crawford was offered the role of Ma Kent, but turned it down and died shortly before production began.

Jack Palance’s daughter Holly played Lois Lane in screen tests.

The first director hired was James Bond director Guy Hamilton, but he backed out because he also was evading UK taxes. Sam Peckinpah and William Friedkin were both offered to direct. Friedkin turned it down and Peckinpah, on brand, produced a gun when meeting with Ilya Salkind. George Lucas was given an offer to direct the film, but turned it down to make Star Wars. Francis Ford Coppola and Norman Jewison were also considered as directors.

William Goldman and Leigh Brackett were considered as writers and Alfred Bester was hired, but Ilya Salkind didn’t think he was famous enough. One draft of the script was written by Mario Puzo, who still gets a writing credit, but the script was thrown out.

4 Likes

I wonder how many great movies were the result of bad choices turning down roles, so that the right people wound up with them. All those other Superman candidates would have been awful.

4 Likes

Paul Reubens as Harry Potter would have been sweet. Alas, I was not in charge of casting for that one.

4 Likes

Almost all of those choices would have been awful. I could se Orson Welles as Jor-El and Peter Boyle as Otis… maybe Jessica Lange or Natalie Wood as Lois Lane.

Pretty much any of the guys considered to be Perry would have done an okay job. Except maybe Jason Robards who sounds totally wrong for the part.

But my god… imagine Superman starring Burt Reynolds as Superman, Liza Minelli as Lois, Gene Wilder as Lex Luthor and Charlton Heston as Jor-El, directed by Sam Peckinpah and written by Mario Puzo.

Dodged a major bullet with all of that.

And on top of that (and in this case, he would of have been fine, but the better choice was made), Jerry Goldsmith was the original choice to write the score.

5 Likes