Single Random Facts

Some independent countries are still claimed by Great Britain as Commonwealth realms, which is sometimes a point of great contention. See, for example, Australia.

4 Likes

Also, Canada, eh! (July 1st)

5 Likes

No, they’re not “claimed” by Great Britain.

3 Likes

15 of those member countries are Commonwealth realms with King Charles III as their head of state.

2 Likes

Which still does not mean they’re “claimed” by Great Britain. Each and every one of those countries is free to change their head of state if they want. The United Kingdom has no power or authority over that.

Fact is that the Commonwealth represents that securing independence doesn’t have to come with animosity and bloodshed, and there’s no reason why the countries involved can’t remain friends afterward.

2 Likes

Fact: every Australian I’ve ever known has embraced the term “pommy” as a mark of honor, and enjoys being reminded that King Chuck III is their head of state.

From bogans to sheilas and all points in between!

Love it, they do.

2 Likes

I’ve had quite a different experience with the Aussies I met.

They only like being in the Commonwealth for the Commonwealth Games, whereby they didn’t have to compete against the “damn yanks”, and could dominate the swimming competitions.

Fact: Canberra is a planned capital, and has war memorials for every part of the military and civilian institutions that helped with the war efforts; nurses, merchant Marines, service animals (dogs, horses, camels, pigeons!), journalists and photographers, Holocaust survivors, factory workers…The list goes on and on. In addition to all the permanent exhibits and memorials they cycle through all sorts of additional material that just astounds.

The whole thing is breathtaking but the Hall of Valor was special, as was the Tomb of the Unknown Australian soldier.

5 Likes

His name was Bruce.

6 Likes

Fair Dinkum !

2 Likes

ASTONISHING true fact just learned.

While verifying that my memory of poet Lew Welch’s suicide-by-wandering into the wilderness was correct, and hasn’t been disproved…

I found that Lew Welch’s common-law wife had a son…whose stage name became…Huey Lewis. While Welch was never officially “Lewis”'s stepfather, he acted as one, and was his godfather.

Yes, that Huey Lewis, this time!

Small world, I guess.

3 Likes

Died in the dunny. What a shame.

3 Likes

Redback under the seat bit him.

4 Likes

Ancient Greek was first written from right to left, then in boustrophedon style (alternating lines of right to left and left to right), then from left to right only.

The bostrophedon style is why some ancient Greek looks written mirrored with the letters backwards.

5 Likes

4 Likes

looks at calendar
looks at weather
looks at Alaska

4 Likes

That’s awesome. I used to be able to read enough in Homeric and Koine Greek (with a dictionary, and never bothered to learn the contractions for Attic-age Gk) to get in trouble, but I never knew that. Never even heard of that!

Single random fact: a four once bag of chicharrones (“fried pork skins”) has, per this example I just ate, 560 calories, but is not “a significant source of protein.”

Also, if you eat them as your “lunch” before work, your hands will be stained reddish, so people will probably think you’ve been eating Cheetos, like a plebe, instead of a healthy, natural, traditional food of the New World.

2 Likes

My body seemingly cannot handle saturated fat, so I’m going to continue to avoid them or take a statin. But I did enjoy them in my youth.

3 Likes

Single random fact: pigs are “old world”, like cows, chickens, and smallpox.

A “new world” snack would consist of corn (maize !), beans, squash, turkey and… syphilis !

5 Likes

I really expected that blurred text to be: *sigh* onions.

6 Likes

Johnny Longbone agrees !
Seinfeld Soup GIF

1 Like