Single Random Facts

This is the city of Cincinnati’s unfinished subway system:

They started it in the early 20th century to compete with cities like New York that had one. They paved over a shipping canal to make the road Central Parkway and planned to use the now sealed tunnel for the system. They completed some tracks and a few stations but then between World War 1 and the mid 1920s they ran out of funds so they sealed it off and abandoned the project. They have to keep maintaining it though as it runs under a Main Street through the city so it remains the longest abandoned subway system in the world.

5 Likes

Alas, Polidori’s effort is rather poor, and certainly (imo at least) pales in comparison to both Shelley’s and Stoker’s works.

3 Likes

I have never seen that connection made. (Which isn’t to say it isn’t true.) Carmilla has been cited with compelling (to me) evidence. And I sorta think, though I cannot prove (yet) that some of the genuine pop trash of the time (like Varney the Vampire) was a big influence.

But OTOH way better than Lord Byron and Percy’s since they never finished.

2 Likes

7 Likes

so you’re saying there’s an island full of free liquor out there…

6 Likes

Yes but you’ll upset either Canadian or Danish Marines by taking their booze. That’s one of the three ways to see a Canadian stop being polite, the other two are sending them off to war and putting a hockey stick in their hands. When that happens it’s not pretty.

As for the Danes, you’d be taking the booze that belongs to descendants of the Vikings. And they have access to landing craft.

4 Likes

What if send them to war armed with a hockey stick to get their booze back? :saluting_face: :canada:

5 Likes

Never steal liquor from people who live in cold countries.

10 Likes

Do they time it so it’s alternating or do they sometimes skirmish?

3 Likes

It’s Hans Island. Denmark is involved by way of Greenland.

2 Likes

The same Byron who was the father of Ada Lovelace.

4 Likes

They take turns. It’s a very polite little “war.”

3 Likes

If there’s a murder on the island, is legal jurisdiction based on whose booze is there?

4 Likes

Yep since it would also have that countries’ flag.

Speaking of murder there is a 50 square mile area inside Yellowstone National Park that for legal reasons you could commit a felony and not be prosecuted for it. As this includes murder the area is called the “zone of death”.

2 Likes

I’m listening.

2 Likes
1 Like

Do I have a second for the motion of moving the Legion of Doom to the Zone of Death?

2 Likes

“Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth” originates from the famous Trojan Horse used by the Greek army during the Trojan War. Looking at the horse’s mouth would not have given the game away, as the secret doors were placed in the rear of the feet. The complete saying is actually “Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth - the feet are where it’s at.”

Also this is 100% definitely a real fact which you can trust me on, and not one you need to go trying to verify before spreading around.

2 Likes

Or it is because when examining a horse when you are thinking of buying, you check their teeth because their condition is a good way of determining the horse’s health. So if someone was gifting you a horse it would be insulting to check out its teeth.
Or, your thing, one or the other.

5 Likes

You’re both wrong. The actual phrase is “Beware of Greeks baring teeth.”

3 Likes