Single Random Facts

Morgan Spurlock is Sherlock in The Case of the Spatchcocked Shuttlecock!

4 Likes

Spatchcock. I…have…no…spatch…cock!

But it is true, whenever I fry any loose meats, I do imagine it to be a kind of splayed chicken, with the backbone removed. (I use scissors, last time I spatchcocked a chicken, plus this gnarly meat cleaver which I’ve since lost…but where?..and a good old ten inch chef’s knife…stamped stainless steel…good enough for the abuse I heap upon those).

So, it all sort of works out. Cooks evenly, with good distribution of surface area.

1 Like

Directed, of course, by Alfred Hitchcock.

4 Likes

Have you seen any of the awesome promotional giveaways for that movie? Hitchcock’s Morgan Spurlock Sherlock pic The Case of the Spatchcocked Shuttlecock! had epic tchotchkes.

4 Likes

There are more than a few in the Super-Secret, Pseudo-Private, Regular Lounge™’s Tchotchke Room.

4 Likes

As an “overseas visitor,” it’s acceptable to wear the formal dress of my native country. Judging by recent weddings I’ve attended, I should be fine in jeans and a T-shirt. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That drives me crazy! I went to a co-worker’s wedding and all of us were dressed to the 9s and the family and best man walked in wearing street clothes.

I was pretty upset as I had to buy a new suit because my old one didn’t fit anymore and I couldn’t get a ride that weekend and had to hoof it in the rain (I’m legally blind so no vehicle etc).

If you’re getting married put a little effort into it dammit!

6 Likes

There are few social standards anymore. Perhaps not a fact, but there’s strong evidence to support the hypothesis. Some I don’t mind going by the wayside, but there should be a minimum level of classiness for something like a wedding.

5 Likes

I don’t go to that many things that require me to spiffy up anymore, and because of that I’m always working with 20 or 30-year-old standards of how to dress. I’ve been the only guy in a suit too many times.

4 Likes

I mean, I usually hate getting “glammed up,” but sometimes it’s nice to look nice for a nice occasion.

And I think Tan France put it very well; he says that putting effort into your appearance is a sign of respect. Basically that you respect the occasion / the venue / the people / your partner, etc by making the effort to look good or proper for it / them.

/ backslash abuse

4 Likes

But betcha everyone noticed you! (And then felt very underdressed! :laughing:)

5 Likes

… and said “who’s the dork in a suit?”

3 Likes

insert appropriate “Sharp Dressed Man” reference here

4 Likes

That’s one thing about living in Colorado and then going to someplace (like Victoria @ Alberts @LadyStarblade) fancy back east and wondering exactly what “semi-formal” means. Out here, we can go to a four-diamond restaurant and see everything from suits and dresses, to shorts. The same is true for the symphony or a night at the theater. We certainly dress up, but even wearing a black skirt and my husband in a suit coat, we still feel underdressed (very country mouse, if you get my meaning) at restaurants on the east coast or on cruise ships.

5 Likes

If you bought another roll of duct tape, you could stop using that as an excuse and go to spiffy things again.

2 Likes

Or burst into song:

Who is the man in the suit?
Who is the cat with the beak?
Do you really want to feel him?
Harvey Attorney, Habeus Corpus, Harvey Attorney
Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law!

4 Likes

Word. I don’t know about “nice occasions,” but it is a mark of respect no matter what the occasion is. On the order of combing one’s hair, shaving where appropriate, and not having yesterday’s lunch in evidence upon one’s teeth and clothing.

And a minimum of cigarette burns on one’s clothing. Yes, even the Led Zeppelin T-shirt or the stained wifebeater. Those count as clothing too.

And that is a single, random fact.

4 Likes

I hate wearing formal clothes as I have the posture and grace of a Sasquatch shoved into a suit and strategically shaved. I’m very uncomfortable wearing them, other people look great in formal clothes but I somehow manage to just look and feel ridiculous. I’ve stopped even trying to get a suit that fits well since the next time I wear one will probably be when I’m buried in it.

4 Likes

It was announced yesterday that for today’s Royal Ascot races, due to the heat, the Dress Code will be relaxed in all enclosures after the Royal procession arrives. Gentlemen may remove their jackets and top hats if they so choose, and they may change into lighter colored clothing, but must take care that their clothing not show sweat stains.

This both fascinates and amuses me.

4 Likes

There are several riffs about bassoons in MST3K episodes. Every one I can recall refers to a bass clarinet playing in the soundtrack.

3 Likes