Single Random Facts

As I recall, Russell Johnson and Dawn Wells complained.

3 Likes

Because they complained about getting treated as throwaway characters.

2 Likes

@wyswysia @Raymond @glmdgrielson @AndrewCrossett
Let me rephrase the question, because I know that the actor and actress complained about being excluded:

If “etcetera” had too many syllables for the relevant verse of the first season version of “The Ballad of Gilligan’s Isle,” how did they get away with replacing “all the rest” with “the Professor and Mary Ann” in the version of the song used beginning in the second season when that phrase has twice as many syllables as “etcetera”?

2 Likes

It was Bob Denver who complained on their behalf. He thought it was unjust… the producers didn’t want to go to the expense of re-recording the theme song. Denver told them if they didn’t, he would exercise a clause in his contract which would have him billed last, which would require the whole song to be re-written and re-recorded. So the producers caved.

9 Likes

Which they’d already done once already to get to the first season version we’re all familiar with, so it was a valid complaint from the producers’ standpoint. That said, I side with the actors on this, and prefer the final version.

But I was asking facetiously. :face_exhaling:

2 Likes

Since this week, I learned that swallowtail caterpillars’ legs start to shrivel before they pupate.

2 Likes

Cirrhosis are red, cir-violets are blue, cir-sugar is sweet, cir-so are you

2 Likes

Mood

1 Like

No doubt They Might Be Giants would be up to the task

3 Likes

A caper is the unripened bud from a capparis spinosa plant, a prickly bush, that is native to the Mediterranean. The buds are pickled (or cured in salt).

I have to admit that the one time I had capers in a dish, I was not impressed, but perhaps I just had a bad rendition.

2 Likes

I was honestly just making a joke based on the meaning of the Latin term. No veracity of the “two many syllables” line. I could have said the term was deemed “too highbrow” for the theme song. Equally hypothetical reason.

2 Likes

In preserves you’re not meant to break the fruit down to its smallest form, you cook it down but you want to keep the whole piece. Ex: whole raspberries or strawberries :yum: Thus you are “preserving” them! (Don’t know if that’s actually why they’re called that, but it sounds good right? Hahaha)

1 Like

Ceteris paribus and mutatis mutandis mean sort of the same thing, except not really. Also, one should take the time to learn Latin, especially as a younger child, in order to better read Vergil, Propertius, Lucretius, Horace, and the rest.

Also, true fact, Winston Churchill was a poor student in the discipline of classics, despite his self aggrandizing bloviations.

2 Likes

But what do they mean??

2 Likes

No one knows!

4 Likes

“Ceteris paribus” means “with all other things being equal” (as in Occam’s Razor) and “mutatis mutandis” means “with a few changes”.

5 Likes

Here’s a fact: Moving across the country is expensive.

(But I’m getting a moving allowance so that’s nice.)

7 Likes

There is a town named Edinburgh of the Seven Seas (pop. approx. 300). That’s pretty boring as a single fact, but its nearest neighbour is 2400km away.

4 Likes

Times Square in New York City, New York is not a square.

7 Likes

It’s more like a lopsided Y. With multiple creepy Elmo knockoffs.

4 Likes