Single Random Facts

As soon as they invent a helicopter that can go up there and get all those bodies, people will protest their removal because of historical significance.

3 Likes

Didn’t you post this when I first posted that fact? Someone did.

1 Like

I don’t know. I might’ve, my memory is not what it once was. It probably bears repeating.

1 Like

And survey (and the search function) says … I did! Sorry about that. I guess still think this way. I’ll delete it. No point in being tiresome. I got another chuckle from it, that’s all that matters.

2 Likes

Don’t you do it! Don’t you do it!

1 Like

Today’s highly motivated person climbing Mount Everest is the future’s frozen iceman discovered and put in a museum.

5 Likes

Leaving only … studs?

3 Likes

Alfred E. Neuman was not created for Mad Magazine. He first appeared in 19th century ads for painless dentistry.

(Some of you Mad readers probably already know this but I was surprised.)

3 Likes

I mean, that is an option, but… Ew.

3 Likes

Thanks to relativistic time dilation, Voyager 1 has travelled 1.1 seconds further into the future than the Earth.

6 Likes

Oh great. 1.1 seconds closer to those pesky Klingons!

4 Likes

And to think, it only took 45 years, 2 days, 13 hours, 10 minutes (and counting…) to accomplish it!

3 Likes

That’s what anti-aging creams should say on the bottle.

5 Likes

“Oil of Olay: 1.1 seconds closer to those pesky Klingons”

5 Likes

Fun fact, Voyager 1 may not be the first man made object to leave the solar system.

In 1957 the US performed an underground nuclear test code named Pascal-A. They sank the bomb at the bottom of a deep shaft and plugged the hole with a 4 inch thick steel plug. When the bomb was detonated the plug launched off and was never found again.

To determine how fast the plug flew they repeated the test, but this time with a camera that could record at 1 frame per millisecond. After the explosion the plug was just barely caught in a single frame before disappearing. It was calculated that the plug was flying at 125,000 miles per hour, or roughly five times the escape velocity of Earth. This is faster than the fastest human spacecraft, the New Horizions probe that went to Pluto, which only reached 36,373 MPH. So the plugs had the speed and momentum to not only leave the atmosphere but also the planet entirely.

So if they didn’t actually hit anything out there those two plugs would have left the solar system years before Voyager ever did.

4 Likes

Like the Earth’s atmosphere at Mach 160; with an effect not unlike that of a bolide, only in reverse.

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Brownlee.html

3 Likes

Well, there might be a few microscopic spherules of metallic glass screaming away from the solar system well out past the heliopause somewhere…

Still, it’s funny to think that a superior version of the Baltimore Gun Club’s Columbiad was essentially built by accident!

4 Likes

Scrabble was such a phenomenon when it was released that its creator, Alfred M. Butts (no seriously), released a second game off his name power alone. It was naturally titled Alfred’s Other Game.

4 Likes

According to George F. Will, “Seventy-five percent of American ‘gamers’ — people who play video games — are older than 18 and nevertheless are allowed to vote.”

According to Robert Byrne, “Readers serious about mastering the game [of pool] should drop out of school, quit their jobs, and get a divorce.”

2 Likes

Those things just happen naturally when you hang out in dive bars all the time.

2 Likes