Single Random Facts

Steven Molaro, apparently. Uh huh. That’s… something to think about.

1 Like

So, weird thing that I learned about from last night’s game of Fibbage: there exists somebody who made a bra that can double as a face mask.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Get in my belly!
austin powers GIF

2 Likes

Put a drop of vanilla behind your ears and you’ll smell like a cookie all day?

I say, no!

Well, it’s probably true.

BUT wear calfskin leather gloves all day and you’ll smell like a cow all day!

It’s true!

4 Likes

The Waghi people of Papua New Guinea have long made huge war shields from tree trunks. Traditionally, these were painted with emblems of animals whose traits the warrior wanted to carry into battle. In modern times, many artists have continued making these shields as a form of ritual artwork, painting emblems of football teams and beer brands and…comic book characters. In particular the Phantom. After WWII, the Waghi tribesmen had easier access to western printed material like comics, and the Phantom became a very popular figure between the 60s and 80s. Honestly makes me feel a bit mundane for buying a paltry superhero t-shirt

5 Likes

The red color receptive cones in our retinas are slightly sensitive in the violet range of the electromagnetic spectrum, which is why violet appears to us as purplish.

main-qimg-de71b9bcbb3a8503ea1b8c968a9f2b29

5 Likes

Also on that note, colored light does some weird things. See The Weird World in RGB for practical demonstrations!

1 Like

That was very interesting to watch. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

You’re welcome! He’s also made a very interesting video on brown, and a quote from that has been firmly lodged in my head. “Taste the brown!”

2 Likes

For some reason, all I can think of is this:

2 Likes

Fun fact: in Italy there are shirts designed to make you look like you’re driving with a seatbelt.

Note to self, avoid Italy’s roads at all costs.

4 Likes

Gorgon farmers look like they have on two seat belts.

2 Likes

Great American Songbook composer Jimmy Van Heusen took his professional name from the clothing manufacturer Van Heusen.

2 Likes
  • The legendary Riverdance show started out as a mere filler intermission called an “interval act” at the 1994 Eurovision Song Competition, held that year in Dublin, Ireland. Interval acts are given over to the host nation to showcase their country’s culture through song, dance, costume, etc. The response to the dance act was so strong that a full-length show was quickly put together and became the phenomenon we’ve all heard about.

(Bonus fact: Michael Flatley and Jean Butler, the two original Riverdance principal dancers, did not like each other AT ALL and it contributed to Flatley’s relatively quick exit from the show.)

2 Likes

Today, I learned that Adriano Celentano’s popular Italian rock song “24.000 baci” was co-written by future horror legend LUCIO FULCI.

Additionally, the Wikipedia article mentions that Goblin’s Claudio Simonetti performed the first English-language cover of the song.

(Celentano is likely most remembered by international audiences as the manic, flailing rock star from La Dolce Vita…that’s where I first saw him, at least!)

2 Likes

Wait. How exactly do you do an English cover of a song that essentially gibberish?

1 Like

Celentano recorded an English-language song that was gibberish, in order to prove that Italians would listen to any song as long as it was in English, even if they couldn’t understand it. This was posted up in this thread several months ago, but here it is again…

2 Likes

Which always reminds me of the “How English sounds to non-English speakers” video skwerl.

(momentarily NSFW/Language)

4 Likes

I like how the only dialogue that’s clearly understandable is the swearing.

It’s like on Frasier when they would show the characters speaking from the perspective of Eddie the dog: “Gabba gabble merk snerf Eddie gabble gobba…”

My friends and I used to do that in college… freak people out by confidently speaking to them in nonsense words. Especially effective on the stoned.

3 Likes