Single Random Falsehoods

San Diego has terrible weather

1 Like

Also a fun fact: Jimi Hendrix has synesthesia. The song was named for the color of the sound rain made on his windowsill that made it impossible to sleep at night.

2 Likes

The Breakfast Club was named after the band Madonna was in but John Hughes didn’t confirm it because Right on Track came out 2 years after the movie and was embarrassed to admit it’s named after a band nobody knew.

1 Like

Not to violate the thread’s premise, but I thought I’d pull a Jonah music pedantic moment and point out that “Barracuda” really was written about a record company executive… the head of Mushroom Records who thought it would be great to run a promotional campaign suggesting than Ann and Nancy were lovers. They were… unamused.

4 Likes

This is, to me, what makes a beautiful falsehood. It’s one that sounds convincing enough that you want to correct it before you realize…oh, right.

2 Likes

You know what they say. Always mix in a little bit of truth. Just to keep 'em on their toes. :wink:

5 Likes

Heh, that’s what I did to start the thread.

Speaking of which, Stephen Fry was right, there is in fact another Moon. However, given that the Second Moon, Clover, was the size of a boulder, most astronomers didn’t notice it, and those that could didn’t care.

3 Likes

scrolls back HA! That’s true!

Well, the “paren keys were broken” might be a bit of a stretch.

Side-note: Why does scrolling back to March 7th feel like time-traveling to the Old West?

1 Like

I mean, given LISP, you can never be sure.

Speaking of which, Scheme was indeed a plot to take over the world. Unfortunately, due to the language’s oddness, it has only really worked on mathematicians, language devs, and of all things, Naughty Dog Studios.

2 Likes

I thought about applying there pre-Sony. As far as game companies go, they seemed like…one…okay, somewhat above average in terms of work environment.

Sir, I am a LISPer, as was my mother before me!

(Sounds like some kind of nerd insult, doesn’t it? “Your momma abuses parentheses!”)

1 Like

Parenthesis abuse is a real issue!

2 Likes

I CAN QUIT ANY TIME I WANNA’ !!

[hic!]

2 Likes

…well, you’re using brackets, that’s a good sign.

Racket the programming language was designed with two goals in mind. One was to facilitate the ease of making new languages, as seen in the documentation.

The other was to remind dedicated LISP users that there were other kinds of delimiters.

2 Likes

Americans typically associate St. Patrick’s Day with corned beef and cabbage, but did you know that in Ireland, the traditional meal for the day is rutabagas and toast?

2 Likes

This statement is false.

2 Likes

:exploding_head:

3 Likes

The Kirk technique actually works?! :astonished:

2 Likes

Gordon Ramsay and I have the same birthday. Which helps explain our in-common proclivity for yelling and cussing while hurling metal kitchenware at others.

2 Likes

Now where’s the lie?

1 Like

= = = = = > :fried_egg:

[redacted swearing]

INCOMING, You [redacted]-ing [redacted]-er !!!

1 Like