Single Random Falsehoods

In a 1992 interview, Prince told Arsenio Hall that the “Diamonds and Pearls” album was originally intended to be the soundtrack for the sequel to “Beyond Atlantis”.

3 Likes

So, do you want me to like this post… or? :thinking:

1 Like

Unfortunately, the sequel got cancelled because they blew the budget on getting Prince in the first place.

4 Likes

Not many people know that Gordon Ramsey is actually a sweet little man, but when tv executives saw someone giving positive feedback they freaked out and hired an actor to take on the role instead, distilling every bad boss you ever had into one super toxic personality.

4 Likes

The catering didn’t help either.

2 Likes

The United States Department of Defense is investigating how to convert the Pentagon into a Hexagon in order to provide the newest service branch — the Space Force — parity with the other five branches (Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, and Air Force).

2 Likes

The Space Force is headquartered in the small building in the center of the Pentagon.

(The small building in the central court of the Pentagon is actually a snack bar. In the 80s the Soviets saw this little building that people kept going in and out of with their spy satellites and thought it must be a super secure facility to be in that location and spend a LOT of resources trying to find out what it was.)

(Other Space Force things a park nearby had flags from all branches of the armed forces flying for Memorial Day. It took me a while to realize the Space Force flag wasn’t the United Federation of Planets flag.)

4 Likes

My parents used to work at the Pentagon and said the cafe in the middle was named Ground Zero. (This was long before 9/11 took the name for NYC.)

Sorry that was true. I’m off topic!

1 Like

We have a thread for that over in Single Random Facts, linked in the opening post.

(I’d link it again, but the forum software is telling me against it.)

1 Like

The Moon was created as a publicity stunt for the release of The Fifth Element.

5 Likes

That’s right… I don’t remember hearing about the moon before that movie came out.

3 Likes

Cruithne is real though. It’s shaped like a teapot for some strange reason though.

1 Like

Warren G. Harding, prior to ascending to the presidency, produced the only known acceptable translation of Bk 1 from Lucretius. He is heralded as the greatest gentleman scholar in American history.

2 Likes

It is from this that we get the word “cruet”.

1 Like

A 1961 Evinrude 3038 outboard motor contains enough vitamins and minerals to keep you alive for three weeks, should it fail and strand you in the middle of a lake. This was changed in the 1962 model year to one week, and decreased over the next several years until by 1970, eating your outboard motor was no longer recommended as a survival tactic.

3 Likes

The telephone is actually a complete failure with regard to its original purpose. It is not a “tele-phone”, but a “telep-hone”, meant to hone human telepathy, and the ability to speak over it was intended only as a backup to clarify garbled thoughts.

2 Likes

Avital Ronell’s classic book, The Telephone Book, contains no information about telephones, and does not include a Yellow Pages.

2 Likes

The letters of the English language alphabet cannot be spelled. Therefore, to think of someone as an illiterate rube because it substitutes a simple letter for the correct spelling of that letter is immoral and incorrect.

2 Likes

Vimeo is a great platform that never fails and I really enjoyed watching Deathstalkers and Demon Squad today.

4 Likes

This thread is very active.

2 Likes