Six-String Samurai

Have y’all ever watched this one? It’s a very unique niche movie. It never really got a wide release, so the studio just made the whole thing available free on YouTube. I love it on its own, but it might actually be fun to riff, too.

If you’re not familiar: It’s a post-apocalyptic world. The one free territory left is what remains of Las Vegas, which was ruled by The King until his recent demise. Now, every musician/warrior (you have to be both) is converging on Vegas, hoping to become the new King. We follow Buddy (implied but never explicitly stated to be this alternate universe’s Buddy Holly) as he treks through the wasteland, fighting off would-be rivals (as well as other thieves and riffraff) with the elegant katana he keeps in a sheath on the back of his guitar. He is exceptionally good with both. Buddy, however, soon picks up an unwanted shadow in the form of a nameless orphan boy struck mute by what he’s endured. That’s where our story begins. It gets weirder from there.

1 Like

I think I may have watched this once. Hubs loves Kung Fu movies so I am frequently subjected to them. I’ll double check with him. I’m feeling like a re-watch is in order if we have seen this one previously!

2 Likes

I love this movie. One of my favorite movies ever. Not even joking. I think it’s terrific and I wouldn’t call it cheesy at all. If anything, it’s one of the top comedies.

2 Likes

Agreed. It’s stylized. It’s funny. It’s weird. Cheesy isn’t the right word for it. But it’s still one that I think my fellow weirdos around here would appreciate. And, while I love it on its own terms, I think there’s also room for some good riffing. I’d put it vaguely in the same bucket as Fifth Element, maybe? And Tank Girl. Just as long as it’s understood that it’s a very big bucket with very few things in it.

2 Likes

Apparently hubs does possess this movie…I feel it will be in my very near future!

3 Likes

I hope you enjoy it. It is exactly on my level of humor. It’s like someone made a movie for me personally to enjoy. If I ever meet the screenwriter, we’ll probably become good friends.

2 Likes

I’ll report back! =)

3 Likes

Also, the Red Elvises are awesome. I have several of their albums. When I lived in L.A. they regularly played at a place in Santa Monica. I never got a chance to see them though.

1 Like

I saw this in the theater like 20 years ago. Somewhere I even have a little promo comic that Rob Liefeld published.

3 Likes

Oo!

Oh. :expressionless:

1 Like

The agony of no feet.

2 Likes