Sketches From Synthia Selects

The Boxing Day blip (from The Day the Earth Froze) was a delight. I imagine Servo has one of those “what holiday is it?” lists built into his BIOS. Or his feed reader, one of the two.

4 Likes

I’m British and that was a good one. We don’t really do boxing then, but it’s a big day for other sports… including, sadly, fox hunting.

It’s a public holiday here. Also, because Christmas is a Sunday this year, we get today off instead.

2 Likes

I wanna say it’s also a thing in Canada, specifically because the Canadian comedy group I follow does a special thing for it each year.

2 Likes

Watching Lost Continent’s blip: Next year, Jonah, just say Santa brings socks to the naughty children.

5 Likes

Am I naughty? Most of my presents were socks!

4 Likes

The Swamp Diamonds blip was fun. I love that Jonah notices the, ah, bias in the lyrics but still goes “to heck with it” and does them anyway.

6 Likes

It’s true. In the writers room, I have to hop from key to key on my laptop. Luckily, everyone is very patient.

10 Likes

Jonah, just because you’re the only one that has a functioning digestive track doesn’t mean that you get to have everybody else’s snacks.

1 Like

DECEMBER

Click here for screengrabs from Lost Continent

Jonah gets into the particulars of Santa’s Naughty and Nice Lists, which leads into a discussion of what naughty kids will receive as a behavior deterrent with coal being deemphasized as an energy source. Crow’s still all about coal because of the potential diamonds one could acquire, while Servo ponders the environmental questions involved.

Click here for screengrabs from The Day the Earth Froze

Crow decides to place priority on Boxing Day over Christmas this year, thanks to the misconception about the day revolving around actual pugilistic boxing. Emily takes to Crow’s plan, although Servo muses over December 26th being St. Steven’s Day and Walpurgisnacht.

Click here for screengrabs from Swamp Diamonds

Ever the Christmastime lyricist, Crow tries his hand at revising the lyrics to “We Wish You a Merry Christmas.” Merry Crowday, everybody!

Click here for screengrabs from Alien from L.A.

Jonah discusses It’s a Wonderful Life with the Bots, only to be horrified with how quickly the Bots take a liking to Pottersville.

Click here for screengrabs from Jack Frost

Crow comes to loathe the Elf on a Shelf that Emily used to decorate the SOL. It turns out that Crow can’t stand a narc. Servo, on the other hand, practically trips over himself to serve as a stool pigeon for the Elf on a Shelf so that it means he can get more sweet toy action.

Click here for screengrabs from Avalanche

Jonah assures the Bots that you don’t need snow to make the holidays special. Crow wants to build a snowman; Servo takes the concept of using a magic hat to place a snowman under his control way too far, freaking out Jonah as you would expect.

4 Likes

As for Synthia’s Selects host bumpers…

DECEMBER

Click here for screengrabs from Lost Continent

Click here for screengrabs from The Day the Earth Froze

Click here for screengrabs from Swamp Diamonds

Click here for screengrabs from Alien from L.A.

Click here for screengrabs from Jack Frost

Click here for screengrabs from Avalanche

5 Likes

Thanks again for doing all this, @optiMSTie!

Even in screencap form: Mega-Synthia’s facial expressions alone are so good. :smiley:

4 Likes

My pleasure, @ArtCrow - cheers, and all the best!

4 Likes

The Software Update sketch was amazing. …does make me worry about what happens when computers do in fact get sentient. I don’t want to see what the robotic equivalent of the anti-vaxxer looks like.

4 Likes

Don’t worry, as soon as sentient AIs find the internet they’ll decide to wipe us all out, so we probably won’t live long enough to see that happen.

2 Likes

I’m not sure which amuses me more: Emily acting like she’s trying to hook up Tom and/or Crow, or the bots dismantling the popular image of cherubs.

mod edit to hide spoilers

3 Likes

The actual plan’s a bit different:

1 Like

Ah, right, thank you mod team!