Small Episode Bundles

This isn’t really about current functionality; more of a suggestion for future product offerings on the Gizmoplex.
Right now users can purchase individual episodes, and there are also the big bundles some got during the Kickstarter. I think small bundles at a slightly lower price point than the per-episode cost would be a hit, and a good way to draw in some new viewers who might feel overwhelmed by a list of 150 possible episodes to purchase.
There are several natural bundles in the titles: Hercules films, Gamera films, Russo-Finnish films, Coleman (shudder) Francis films. I also think it would be fun to get bundles of various current and former cast members’ favorite episodes (Joel’s Top 5, etc.) Or to run polls to narrow down MSTies top five episodes via votes from the Discourse (or even a “Bottom 5” bundle of those voted to cause the Deepest Hurting).

17 Likes

Excellent idea. You got yer “Old West” bundle with Gunslinger, Last of the Wild Horses, and The Painted Hills. A spy bundle with Connery’s brother, Rex Dart, et al. Space Jam with Slab Bulkhead, Winky, and deep-fried Phantom Planets.

Ship it!

7 Likes

Also a “design your own “ bundle where you could select any 5 (or whatever) episodes of your choice at a percent discount.

11 Likes

I love this idea. From a business perspective it could lead to higher sales because if you bundle 3 or 4 popular movies of a theme together with 1 or 2 low selling ones that match the theme as well you can get more than you would be selling only each one individually. By doing this purchaser feels like they got a deal and the content owner makes more than they would have otherwise.

7 Likes

I agree. This is an excellent idea. Similarly, I’d like the option to purchase an entire season of the show at a reduced price. (This would make it more appealing to buy the entire series, one season at a time.)

7 Likes

I would LOVE for there to be any type of bulk episode discount. Or maybe just have a different group of episodes that’s on sale each week/month or something like that.

I am sure that could entice people to buy episodes they are interested in. Everyone loves a deal.

2 Likes

After they implement it, someone will complain that it’s unfair that they have to pay twice for episodes that appear in multiple subject-based bundles.

2 Likes

Several digital store-fronts have addressed this - give the user a discount based on any currently owned pieces of the bundle. If it’s $10 for 3 and you own one, it’s actually rings out at $6.70 or somewhere thereabouts. Everybody wins! I know both Steam and the Apple app store offer this at the discretion of the creator.

4 Likes

RiffTrax will let you upgrade from SD to HD for the difference in cost. Not the same as a pro-rated bundles, but the same idea.

It kind of boils down to keeping track of what your customer has and then treating them fairly when they want to purchase overlapping packages of things.

4 Likes