So bad it’s…bad

I saw it in the theatre. What a nightmare

my condolences

2 Likes

RLM devoted over an hour JUST to this film: Best of the Worst: Ben and Arthur - YouTube

7.5 on IMDB.

A few years (8) back, our local chain did a retrospective of Eric Rohmer’s oeuvre, which I presume is all in the same vein. I saw “A Summer’s Tale”:

It’s not unpleasant. I mean, if it’s not your sort of thing—long walks through the countryside and boat rides off northern France—this isn’t going to change your mind about talky movies.

This is sort of amusing to me (but then I wrote it):

Still, it’s not the sort of thing that’s going to ignite your toes. Unless, perhaps, you share Rohmer’s taste in women: elfin, small-breasted women with good child-bearing hips. You know how, about 5 minutes into a Russ Meyer film, an alert viewer will think, “Good heavens, I believe the director has a taste for inordinately large mammary glands?” Well, by the time Solene shows up, I began to suspect a similar preference (if not exactly fetish). In fact, I did a little research after seeing this movie, to confirm this and, yes, this was the sort of body type Mr. Rohmer preferred, I feel confident in saying.

Sometimes I think critics give high movie ratings for other than their stated reasons.

You’re having a stroke, you say? :wink:

As for Hanna-Barbera music, I love the way “The Venture Bros.” theme captures the crazy jazz WTF-ness of it:

2 Likes

I’ll grant you that the Gator’s soundtrack is the superior sleep aid. Apart from that, I’d call it a draw.

2 Likes

I went in to Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets expecting it to be bad in the fun kind of way (It’s Luc Besson!) but it was just bad in the bad kind of way. (Although I do believe it could be made fun with the right riffers.)

3 Likes

Agreed, that was another sadly hollow film that could have been good. The worst part for me was the absolute lack of chemistry between the two main actors. It was such a looming absence that it was palpable.

2 Likes

So far I’ve generally liked the few French comic book films I’ve seen.¹ They’re … a little bizarre, off-beat, in a mildly fascinating way. I didn’t hate Valerian, but yeah, it both struggled and disappointed. I’m guessing I might upgrade that to “hate” if I had read and enjoyed the comics. Or maybe just if I watch it a second time.

However, …

Hollywood’s The Golden Compass film is awful. Worthy of despisement. It’s not only a bungled adaptation of the British(English) source novel, but also a badly-made film to boot. But just the film. The trilogy, books and dramatized audio version, is excellent. There is also a very good series on HBO/BBC1, named after the trilogy: “His Dark Materials”. The third season of 3 probably releases late 2022.

¹ Snowpiercer (and TV series), The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec, Persepolis, and Barbarella (?!). I suppose you could include the latest Tintin film, too. I have a short list of some others that I plan to watch eventually.

5 Likes

I will give the big budget Golden Compass movie one credit- Sam Elliot is the perfect Lee Scorseby. I am not very impressed with Lin-Manuel Miranda’s take in the TV series. It’s a weak point.

1 Like

Also botched - the film version of A Series Of Unfortunate Events. The TV version was sublimely perfect, however.

2 Likes

Check out Immortal, it’s quite good as well. Adapted from the comics of Metal Hurlant star talent Enki Bilal.

1 Like

I give a lot of 3s (out of 5) to Éric Rohmer films, including “A Summer’s Tale”, so there’s a lot of “yeah, that was fine, that was okay”… but when he hits me just right, he really hits me. Which is odd, because he has a lane and he stays in it, so why one works better than the other… :man_shrugging:

But I did like “Claire’s Knee”, which I gave 4-stars, the same grade I gave “Four Adventures of Reinette and Mirabelle”. “Le Rayon Vert” got 4.5 and “My Night at Maud’s” is a 5-star masterpiece.

As for the question? I see “Cats” named a few times, and yup, that’s one time curiosity killed.

I remember, at the time I saw it, I felt “Mesa of Lost Women” was the worst thing ever and considered it unriffable, because it was just a lot of discordant guitar playing and people standing in the void, staring off into space.

But then Rifftrax tackled it, and they actually did good work on it.

4 Likes

I just remembered another candidate for ‘worst film ever’ from my film historian father which I have also never seen, so I will leave the opinions to others:

4 Likes

Uhg, yeah, I can’t do the Straub’s, never have, a lot of the art-house crowd really dig them. And I do like art-house, but not the Straub’s

3 Likes

Not familiar with that one. A casual search of reviews seem generally positive, but it does seem like it could be a slog as well. These kinds of films always tread a thin line between epiphany and pretentious twaddle, and it’s so easy to fall on the wrong side.

5 Likes

Just noticed it’s a hour and 18 minutes. WHAT? FAST FORWARDING through it seems like 3 hours.

3 Likes

A friend of mine spent a while calling everything he didn’t like “HB” because of Heartbeeps.

2 Likes

Go figure. Also…

The store brand version of Alan Arkin - similar flavor, only without the fattening talent and humor.

2 Likes

Sam Elliot seemed a little old to me, and Lin-Manuel Miranda a little too young. But yeah, “from Texas” often means rough-skinned and grizzled, and Sam Elliot does that well.

That’s another film I saw and thought, “… Okay, ….” I agree 100% on the Netflix series, though.

Already on the list! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Totally agree! Most long book series do best as a TV serial than a movie anyway, but also everyone involved clearly loved the books and understood them well

2 Likes

Yeah, too many variables. Especially when, if you go back, you end up changing your mind about which is “the good one”…

Yeah, I remember liking Mesa more than average.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Rock and Roll High School? Get Crazy? Even Hollywood Boulevard is pretty fun.

Although, I think he found his medium in TV Shows: St. Elsewhere, Lost, Crossing Jordan, The Temptations, Moonlighting, I’ll Fly Away…he did a couple of the A Series of Unfortunate Events series people like…

1 Like