So here's the thing about Munchie....

It’s one of a few low budget movies where Dom DeLuise plays a magical being that saves a family. It is arguably not the worst of the trilogy, TRILOGY of magical Dom DeLuise family rescues. There’s also 1994’s Skateboard Kid where the Domster plays a talking skateboard that flies and brings two families together as well as the 2000’s The Braniacs.com where he plays a magical banker who helps a boy create a rival company to get his dad to spend more time with him. How is the bank magical? He… um… stock markets good? It’s unimportant. What’s important that there is a trilogy of films!! This could be the Russo-Finnish Saga for the new generation! Only less Russian, more Dom! Saving broken families!

22 Likes

:astonished:

4 Likes

He also voiced a crow in a more famous movie where he helped save a family. I know there is being typecast, but really.

At least no families were saved in Cannonball Run.

7 Likes

And voiced a cat in two movies where he helped reunite a family, twice.

2 Likes

And he helped save an orphan in All Dogs Go To Heaven, and he helped save a mouse family in American Tail, and HEY WAIT A MINUTE.

3 Likes

This is what I think of when I hear Dom Deluise and that’s not even Dom Deluise.

3 Likes

I thought he also provided a voice for The Skateboard Kid II, but no. If anyone really needs to experience these flicks, RedLetterMedia have covered both.

2 Likes

I didn’t think Munchie was that bad. I mean it was BAD, but no worse than The Purple People Eater starring Ned Beatty, Shelley Winters, and a young Neil Patrick Harris.

2 Likes

I concur that the problem with Munchie is that it’s not actually bad enough of a movie to deserve The Treatment.

I like my MST3K films to be inexplicably bad. This one is explicable. With two exceptions:

1. Whatever happened to the dinner Loni Anderson was making? Did she just let it burn up in the oven when they INEXPLICABLY decided to go out to eat after the Great Champagne Incident?

2. Why did Prof. Kruikshank INEXPLICABLY smash through HIS OWN garage door in the Jeep? Seems rather short-sighted.

Also, during the end credits, when the one kid comes up out of the laundry bin with the underwear on his head, I made myself giggle with the mental riff “Congressman Cawthorn! Not AGAIN!”

Wah-WHAAAAAAA

7 Likes

It’s probably one of the more watchable ones, comparatively, but I wouldn’t call it too good to be riffed. Especially with Munchie being as obnoxious as he was.

3 Likes

I nearly threw up in my mouth after Munchie’s JCPenney’s reference (I hesitate to call it a “joke”).

1 Like

Compared to Mac and Me, Munchie is quite… watchable. Not good. Just watchable.

1 Like

I am at the scene with the Save the Earth poster and now, thanks to Munchie, I am investing in fracking interests. Sorry world, but Munchie made me do it.

4 Likes

Look, I’m not here to trivialize the trauma that the MST3K crew experienced watching Munchie, but… BUT… Skateboard Kid is way, way, way, worse. I really hope it becomes a contender for season 14, because it is really something else.

2 Likes

Also, after seeing Munchie, Mike’s Loni Anderson joke in Time Chasers tracks.

2 Likes

It has the same feel to me as R.O.T.O.R., which was so beautifully sliced and diced by Rifftrax several years ago. It feels like it was made and written by foreigners who thought they understood the U.S.A. But they never met any actual living people here. They just got all their information from hit movies with actual budgets. Also, their English translations were all done by drunken dyslexic howler monkeys so not a single attempt at humor actually landed.

3 Likes

I felt the same way. It’s bad, but it doesn’t even come close to Mac and Me terrible.

3 Likes

… Okay, so a question comes to mind.

With 1 being best and 4 being worst, where do you rank Pod People, Hobgoblins, Mac & Me, and Munchie? (As movies, not as episodes.)

I think…

1 - Mac & Me
2 - Munchie
3 - Hobgoblins
4 - Pod People

3 Likes

Do you mean best movie or best episode?

1 Like

Edited my post to clarify, I’m looking for best movie, not best episode.

2 Likes