So here's the thing about Munchie....

Oh, I LOVE Hobgoblins the episode. I love it because Hobgoblins the movie is repulsive sexist dreck and I revel as it is torn to itty bitty shreds by Our Heroes.

7 Likes

I knew there was a reason I had stopped watching SNL for a long stretch. That cold open would have convinced me to switch to Mad TV (or no tv).

2 Likes

I think that’s because people are rating the original movies here. I love the episode, but both Munchie and Mac and Me are more competently executed movies if you’re watching them unriffed.

4 Likes

I’ve never got the whole eviscerate the film or tear it to shreds aspect. I don’t go to MST3K for hate watching. It’s largely why the Sci-Fi era turns me off. The films should be our companions, not our enemies.
As far as Hobgoblins, it’s one of the few I wish hadn’t been on the show. It’s not a good fit, IMO.

4 Likes

I like the Sci-Fi era, but that’s why I can’t get into Rifftrax. It’s just too mean. The “some movies have it coming” slogan doesn’t sit well with me.

5 Likes

Though Rifftrax has done movies that the crew has personally enjoyed.

3 Likes

Oh, but some movies DO have it coming, and I’m okay with them giving it to them. Variety is the spice of life, some movies they have fun with, some they tear into, I like the mix, keeps MST from being one-note.

And really, after seeing Sidehackers uncut, or Final Justice where the bad guy is even more repulsive than we were shown (he’s a sadist and rapist), yeah, tear those to shreds, or at least, tear into the a-hole characters.

1 Like

It’s more the general attitude that they’re going to go in hating on it. I just don’t care for that. I don’t know, I guess there are so many “bad” movies I really like that it bothers me how vicious they can be.

6 Likes

Yeah, Rifftrax can go down that path, and I know Bill expressed regret over at least one of those ‘mean riffs’ that he voiced. Though honestly, I thought the Dom sketch in Munchie went a little too dark too. And after hearing comments during the Livestream, it sounds like that came from a place of upset and anger. Hampton wasn’t a fan

But when I think of some of my recent favorites, like Dancin’ It’s On, was it vicious? Did they cross a line? I don’t recall anything that made me squirm in my seat, I just remember all the laughing I did.

6 Likes

I see what you’re saying, I don’t think MST went in with that attitude. I think they matched the riff to what the movie gave them, rather than going in angry from the start.

During the Cinematic Titanic days, Joel took issue with some of the ads and reviews that were selling the idea that these movies never should have been made in the first place, and CTs here to destroy them. That’s not what he was about, or what the show was about. They actually had some affection for these movies.

6 Likes

Exactly!

1 Like

I gotta’ be me. :person_shrugging: The thing is: it’s hard to get away with critiquing, say, misogyny in good films. Because so many champions of certain filmmakers or actors get their backs up, and accuse the complainer of saying, “This film sucks” or, “This guy can’t act at all.” Even if that’s not what the complainer is saying. Bad movies can’t hide such flaws as effectively behind professional polish or the mystique of a Great Auteur, etc. So cheering them on as they collect their shin-kickings can be super-therapeutic.

Ironically, I don’t hate-watch anything as-is. That would just be too lonely. And there’d be nobody to help put the brakes on my worst instincts.

1 Like

Louis apparently also felt that E.T., being a decade old, was a classic whose star had faded. He wasn’t trying to rip off the story. He wanted to give it new life for a new generation of kids.

E.T. was only 6 years old in 1988 and came out on tape a few weeks after Mac and Me debuted. Louis might not have a grasp on how decades or generations are properly definied.

6 Likes

I think we’re getting a bit away from the theme of the thread, which is listing movies where Dom DeLuise voices a character that helps keep a family together. Here’s another one: Don Bluth’s A Troll in Central Park!

4 Likes

You know, until I heard them do that Don Bluth riff in Munchie, it never dawned on me how often Dom DeLuise provided voices for those films, despite the fact that I watched all of them as a kid. Nostalgic little mind blown.

5 Likes

If I’m counting right he was in four Bluth franchises - NIMH, American Tail, All Dogs, and Troll. But, I use the word “franchises” because DeLuise also appeared in all of the sequels and spinoffs for the first three, even the direct to video and TV ones.

5 Likes

Well, who would know better than Hollywood about how to keep families together? :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

9 Likes

Just ask Burt and Loni.

Oh wait…

3 Likes

I would be very interested in knowing how Jamie McEnnan (Gage) felt about the movie and episode, considering how Munchie Strikes Back is his last film credit.

2 Likes