So is the mobile site borked or is this just me?

Other sites are still loading normally on my phone, but this forum is…not.

iPhone X, Safari, latest updates

1 Like

I am not seeing that (iPhone 12, most recent updates), but will try some different devices.

3 Likes

I’m on an updated iPhone and it looks okay; do you have your Safari set to reader view?

3 Likes

Nothing is set weird that I can tell. I tried calling the desktop version of the site and that’s slightly better, but still really weird.

Power cycled my phone, too.

Weird.

1 Like

Yeah, desktop is better but still funky.

1 Like

Ah, okay, got it.

Our internet at the school has been spotty all day. I disconnected from the wifi and tried loading it and it was still messed up. Went and cleared all my browser data in settings and stayed off the wifi and it seems okay now.

Must’ve just gotten stuck in them pipes somehow.

Thank you!

6 Likes

So who else would love a dedicated forums app? I’m sure they don’t have the time on their hands to make something like that, but a guy can dream…

3 Likes

I was digging around trying to find a way to do a hard refresh in the mobile version of Safari, but there doesn’t appear to be one. Glad it worked itself out!

1 Like

First thought: Oh, that would be nice!

Second thought: Wow, that would be a lot of work.

Third thought: Hmm, wonder if someone would be amazing enough to volunteer to build it?

Fourth thought: That is WAYYY too much to ask of a volunteer.

Fifth thought: If I make a billion dollars, I will fund such an app.

Sixth thought: I need a lottery ticket.

3 Likes

There is an app! Can’t remember for the life of me where I got it, but it is how I access these forums on my phone.

3 Likes

Is it Discourse Hub? I haven’t checked out a standalone app, so these are new to me.

Apple: ‎Discourse Hub on the App Store

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.discourse&hl=en_US&gl=US

1 Like

I think it’s based on that, but I did something really early on that installed a button that takes me straight to these forums, complete with planet logo and title of MST3K forums. I’m not savvy enough to set that up myself, but can’t remember whether it was something the website did for me somehow, or if there was some instruction in an early Kickstarter update that told me how…

4 Likes

Oh, and the original poster might want to make sure they didn’t click desktop view. If you click the menu button with the three horizontal lines, there’s an option at the very bottom that toggles between desktop and mobile view.

EDIT: Never mind, I see that was suggested.

2 Likes

iOS:

1. Visit the home page at forums.mst3k.com
  2. Click the Share button
  3. Scroll down and choose “Add to Home Screen”
  4. Rename it if you want—it defaults to “MST3K Forums”
  5. Click Done

Android:

1. Visit the home page at forums.mst3k.com
  2. Tap the menu icon (3 dots in upper right-hand corner) and tap “Add to homescreen”
  3. Rename if you want—assuming it defaults the same way iOS does
4 Likes

If you’re having trouble, you may need to update your browser like I did. Then use a good User Agent string. Try…
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/47.0.2526.111 Safari/537.36

Other useragent strings can be found here.

Look I’m sorry, I wish they would just leave things alone. It worked great before, why did they need to break it?

2 Likes

I just did this. Thanks!

3 Likes

Thanks for this! I just got a new phone and missed install in my profile.

1 Like

Today, I’m on the Forums via my phone and I’m no longer seeing suggested threads or unread counts at the bottom of each thread. I’m wondering if that’s a new change or is it just me? Maybe it’s just me. It was working as expected yesterday.

2 Likes

Not sure, I don’t access the forum on a mobile device. Has your phone or mobile browser updated today? that could be it.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat on mobile. It was there yesterday, fine today. It’s probably a Discourse change. That’s my guess.

1 Like