So now there is a *direct* link between MST3K and Doctor Who...

4 Likes

If that’s him in wardrobe, looks like he’ll be the Celestial Toymaker.

3 Likes

I don’t know… but that outfit isn’t too far removed from Peter Cushing’s either.

1 Like

I thought that at first, but the tools in his pocket changed my mind.

1 Like

I’ll have to scroll through my DVDs, but I seem to recall the Cushing Doctor with a toolkit like that in at least one scene.

1 Like

I’ve seen speculation that it’s the Toymaker. I’ve seen a few people in various places mention the Cushing Dalek movies. Personally, I’m going with the Master from the Land of Fiction.

2 Likes

Less problematic outfit than this one.

That said, happy when Doctor Who & Big Finish share canon

Given how brilliant NPH was as Count Olaf, he could certainly play the Master. But it does look like some other character, either a returning one with an RTD spin or a wholly new one. Whatever the case, very much looking forward to him joining the show!

Mysterious Theatre 337 has been linking them since 1996.

Good news to be sure.

I had to double-check that he’s American (USA), because Doctor Who seems to be almost always a British cast (not surprisingly). (Not that I’m very knowledgeable about this, but I can only think of two other non-Britains at the moment: Christopher Noth (USA) and Kylie Minogue (Australia) (*though Commonwealth).)

Yes, NPH was very good in A Series of Unfortunate Events (Netflix). I think I first saw him in Doctor Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog (web series), which also has another MST3K tie-in (Felicia Day).

1 Like

Different Master. :slight_smile:

The Master of the Land of Fiction is not the Delgado/Ainley/etc Master.

1 Like

Oh yes, I was just saying he could play the Master, not that he’s slated to. :slight_smile:

Given his eccentric outfit in the teaser photo, I suspect he is some kind of Time Lord, whether a revisited one or a new one. It would be neat if he were a young First Doctor, too.

3 Likes

Oh, now that is something I haven’t heard mentioned. I like it!

Though heads in certain corners of fandom would explode at the idea of a grimy American playing the First Doctor in any form.

I do think he could carry off the Hartnell crankiness with convincing aplomb. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I imagine there’s probably also a BBC rule on this, it being a government-controlled entity, that main characters must be British. If so, they could possibly get away with a one-off alternate version promised to never return, but that seems like such a headache to fight for that they’d just hire someone local and be done with it.

(There was one American Master, but that was not a fully-owned BBC production, so if such a rule exists it may not have applied there.)

Also directly links to Star Wars (Mark Hamill), Seinfeld, and Star Trek and the MCU (Kirk Thatcher)

Let’s just admit it, MST3K is the center of the universe.

2 Likes

Janet Fielding (Tegan) hails from Australia.

2 Likes

And here I was expecting somebody making the same comparison I did: “The guy from Doctor Mordrid looks like a second rate Davide Tennant.”

1 Like

When I went back and watched it the 2nd time, all I could think of was “Chris Isaak is David Tennant in Bruce Campbell: Landlord Sorcerer

1 Like

Best description ever.

1 Like