So the new Night Court....

I don’t know. It depends on the new group dynamic. I don’t need him to be nice and cuddly, but I do need him to not be the personification of a sexual harassment in the workplace training video.

2 Likes

John Larroquette is a very talented comedic actor. However this new series shakes out, I’m guessing he will be a bright spot on it.

(Also I’m feeling pretty cocky after spelling his name right without looking it up first.)

5 Likes

Night Court as a product of its time was fine. It was not any sort of “defining” comedy, but it was really good and served as a great match to Cheers (which it was routinely run next to). It was a solid, journeyman level comedy with a good cast and some good bits.

But it was very simple and even sort of ham-fisted in its humor. Like a lot of shows from that era it was not exactly trying to be classy. A lot of the stuff would be pretty cringe today. But it was even kind of cringe back in the 80s, and that’s what made it funny. Like The Office, there was a “Yeah no one in real life would act this way” sort of vibe, and a farcical outlandishness to the violations and the offenses that made them excusable.

And that’s really what the new NC should lean into. Embrace it. The Office showed that you can have those kinds of elements, and it can be funny, as long as you have this background assumption that you know you’re diving into the absurd. But as long as you do it with good writing and some heart then it’ll work. If you try to circle around the edges of it then it won’t.

1 Like

I don’t know Larroquette personally or anything, but he does seem like the kind of actor who wouldn’t agree to bring Dan back if he didn’t think the take was worth exploring. Or maybe he wanted to buy a boat, I’ll have to find out along with everyone else.

5 Likes

Oh absolutely. I’ve watched him since the Blacksheep Squadron days. Checking my PLEX, I have four shows where he is the star. The man is simply amazing to watch. He is the hook certainly to try and draw the old audience back.

A lot of that though was the product of the cast and their chemistry. They actually played things pretty straight for the first season or two. A lot of the silliness was down to how much Harry Anderson crept into Harry Stone as the show went on. He could sell the absurdity with Larroquette and Markie Post as his straight men.

3 Likes

John Larroquette is also 75 years old, so we’ll see if he can still keep his energy up. I wouldn’t blame him if he couldn’t.

2 Likes

They put his head on a new titanium body so I’m sure it’ll be fine.

6 Likes

Despite plenty of evidence to the contrary, I’ve always imagined that Harry Anderson played the same character on both shows.

4 Likes

Well … that’s sort of true if only because Harry Anderson played the same “character” in every role he did. Whether it was Night Court, Cheers, or Dave’s World the person was pretty much the same.

2 Likes

Oh dear, Richard Moll is 80. I’m guessing he’s probably not doing more than a cameo if that.

2 Likes

Huh. Marsha Warfield had a talk show?

2 Likes

No I mean literally the same character. As in the huckster from Cheers fled Boston and conned his way into being a New York judge. That’s what I deem to be true in my own mind.

4 Likes

I would encourage you to give Quantum Leap a try. The old QL was at it’s best when it centered on the stories of ordinary people living their ordinary lives, and the new QL carries that on (no celebrities so far, and I hope not ever). The characters are varied and interesting, and the stories are heartfelt. Also the show is improving as it goes along.

It helps that it’s a sequel and not a reboot, and the Donald Bellasario (the creator of the original) is still onboard.

4 Likes

I’m glad to see that JL can make some money off this. Don’t know if I’ll watch, though. I do miss the 80’s now and again.

3 Likes

If we’re getting Night Court back, can we give Supertrain a second chance?

I’m JUST asking.

6 Likes

Well if we’re going there, let’s give Genesis II the full series we all know it deserved.

3 Likes

Holmes & Yoyo is due, I think. Is John Schuck still around?

5 Likes

…I remember this coming up and being surprised that I had misjudged when this show was on. For some reason I thought Night Court was a 60s thing, not a 90s one.

2 Likes

Of course he’s still around, he’s an android.

3 Likes

It’s neither, it’s an 80s show, mostly. 1984-1992.

1 Like