So the new Night Court....

This show will be gone after one season. Then again, TV itself is on its last legs anyway.

3 Likes

The fact it did not premiere earlier is telling. NBC doesn’t have a lot of confidence in the show either.

3 Likes

If the AV Club is right and the first few episodes are bad, that will kill it. It doesn’t matter if it finds its stride by the end of the season.

3 Likes

NBC has had a run of comedy failures dating back to at least 2018. They just can’t seem to put together a comedy block these days. Lopez vs Lopez (the freshman comedy they chose to push over Night Court in the fall slot) and Young Rock barely pull a million viewers each. And it’s been that way for several seasons now. Their dramas draw good numbers, the comedies wallow at the bottom of the chart.

If there is a bright spot for any potential fans, Night Court is premiering now as opposed to getting pushed off to the March premieres. So the network doesn’t have a lot of confidence in the show, but they aren’t using it as schedule spackle for the end of the season either.

3 Likes

Yeah, shows being allowed to “find their stride” isn’t a thing anymore. Agents of SHIELD was the last one.

4 Likes

Just spitballing here … wild concept … but maybe a comedy should try to be funny first rather than having funny be the 4th or 5th concept on the ladder.

2 Likes

25 posts were merged into an existing topic: New sitcom ideas!

MOD HAT: Guys can we drag this back on topic please? If you want to discuss other shows that do (or don’t) need to be rebooted or other AI silliness, please start a new thread. Thanks.

3 Likes

May I suggest rather than staying on the Night Court topic, we change the thread to sitcom reboots in general? It seems like we are taking a broader view overall. But I’m happy to just stick to Night Court in this thread. Whatever goes.

2 Likes

No, the OP wanted to discuss one show, let’s honor that. Please feel free to start a new thread for a general sitcom chat and I can move the off topic discussion there so it’s all in one place.

6 Likes

I don’t know, there have been a few decent jokes. Not sure if anyone under 50 would even try it, though

3 Likes

Look, the show is what it is - a network sitcom. You’re not going to get anything super original that way. I enjoyed the first two episodes of the show–I thought it captured some of the spirit of the original without trying to be the original.

I wouldn’t call it a reboot, I would call it a sequel. And as such, I judge it through a different lens and it did fine.

5 Likes

I also like what I saw of the first two episodes, I had to leave for a food run.

Hopefully, they’ll let it run.

1 Like

It’s getting off to a slow start. And it’s kind of stupid at times. But it’s fun. You gotta give them props for, well, one of the props…

That’s a pretty good list right there.

And I’m interested in seeing the reluctant development of this new Dan.

Plus, Dave Foley had a walk-on cameo and if you didn’t know who he was, he’d have just been another extra in the background with no lines. I like it.

So… I don’t know why the cable company gave me this button, but I won’t be pressing it. At least not for a while.

4 Likes

Preliminary ratings are in, and … the show did well. The back-to-back premiere episodes pulled seven million viewers each, making it one of the highest-rated shows for NBC. The test will be to see how far those numbers fall next week.

4 Likes

Strange how far off my radar traditional network TV has gotten. I don’t think I’ve had my TV on since the Good Place finale.

4 Likes

I saw it and I liked it. I think that once they get past the point of introducing the characters, they’ll have more room for an interesting back and forth amongst them. The heart of this version of the show will be the Rauch’s Judge Abby Stone and Laroquette’s deperved misanthrope with a heart Dan Fielding. I can already see some fun with the clerk character Neil and Lacretta’s Gurgs. I don’t know if the show has given me quite a handle yet on the DA character but there’s only been two episodes so far.

I think despite the skepticism here, of all 80s shows out there, Night Court is one that can work because of the interesting place they put them. At the end of the day, you can still create interesting court cases and gags. It’s like a late night show’s desk bit. You can always fill up the well of Thank You Notes, Top Ten Lists, and In the Year 2000s. I’ll keep watching.

4 Likes

I saw the beginning of the first episode, as I was getting set up for the Mary Jo Pehl Show livestream. What I saw of it was pretty good. Not sure if/where they are streaming, it, but plan to make an effort to give the first couple of episodes a full try here soon.

2 Likes

Great.

Now I have to rewatch to find Foley!

How’d I miss that… grumble.

• What’s odd is that there were moments in both episodes where I felt like it had more of a News Radio feel than a Night Court feel… /me twilight zone music begins to play…
2 Likes

Watched it, liked it.

At least enough to tune in next week.

They made another reboot/continuation I like. I’m amazed. I mean two since H5O isn’t the best record, but two in a year is impressive.

It had some good moments and a few good laughs.

There’s great chemistry between Rauch and Laroquette. Laroquette actually seemed good with the entire cast. I’m hoping that the rest of the cast finds its rhythm with each other in the episodes to come. There’s potential there.

I’m sure there’s royalty reasons for the change in the theme song… but, it’s almost obnoxious how close it is, but still wrong? Just pay whoever needs to get paid to use the original. For the love of God.

And, if nothing else, these two episodes made me feel nostalgic enough to seek out the original show and rewatch some.

5 Likes