Sourcing Servo’s clear globe

My cat knocked over my Servo and destroyed the globe. I need a replacement, and while I would settle for the Baron/Conor frosted globe, I’d much rather have a clear one.

Carousel Executive Snack Dispensers pop up on eBay from time to time, but they’re almost always used and usually have cracks or scuffs on the globe.

I can live with those flaws, but does anyone have a line on new/unused globes, maybe found on a different brand of gumball machine?

Plz and thx

3 Likes

I found mine in a mall candy shop years ago. So, you might try looking in candy stores, especially if they have a retro section.

3 Likes

Right. I remember that even as late as the late '90’s and early 'aughts, these things were still all over the place at malls.

Most of the malls near me are pretty dead nowadays, but maybe one of those Natalie’s Candy Jar places…

2 Likes

There is a guy on Etsy that makes mst3k bots and kits for you to make your own bots. You could try asking him where he gets his, or ask to buy just the globe. The Etsy shop is called MST3KBots. I took a look at mine for you and it’s scuffed and a piece of the rim under the cap broke off. I’ve moved the thing like 10 times, so it must have happened during a move.

2 Likes

Thanks. I think that’s Bob Bukoski you’re referring to. I don’t think he sells the globe separate from the full kit.

He told me (maybe a year ago or so) that he was working on a replacement solution for the clear globes, but I have not seen a stand-alone globe for sale yet.

2 Likes

Doesn’t hurt to ask. I’m actually waiting on a Servo from him now. He told me that he’s actually making the bots for the new show, so he must have found some kind of solution.

2 Likes

When I got my Tom Servo back in 2016, Bob was selling just the globe and a lot of the individual parts. But that was 4/5 years ago.

2 Likes

Right, but the S11-13 Servo has the frosted globe? I’ll take that, but my preference would be the classic clear.

You’re right, of course. Doesn’t hurt to ask. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I bought some Crow pieces parts from him last year, and he didn’t have stand-alone globes available at that time. That’s when he told me he was working on a new solution, though he didn’t divulge details.

2 Likes

I believe the CLASSIC '90s version of the dome isn’t being made by the company anymore. Which also might’ve been a reason the “frosted” dome has been introduced. The “new” clear ones don’t quite look right.

2 Likes

Since I have an old Servo head and I’m getting a bot built by Bob, I’ll let you know if the bot’s globe is clear or frosted (the product pic is clear) and I’ll compare it to the old globe to see if there is a noticeable difference.

3 Likes

Much appreciated. I just shot him an email, too.

I will take any globe that fits, to be sure. But my heart lies with clear.

2 Likes

At some point, I’d like to build a Servo and a Crow myself.

Two questions:

1. What’s the best way to acquire complete kits? (Mind you, I’m on a teacher’s salary…)
  2. I’d eventually like for my Servo to have multiple heads I can switch out, so I’m invested in the outcome here. Has anyone seen/acquired/made Tom’s skinny head for their bot yet?

Thanks in advance, everyone!!

2 Likes

For a kit of Servo you can go to the Etsy shop MST3KBots. It’s $175 for the kit. He doesn’t offer a crow kit right now, but I hope he will in the future. He’s the only place I know about that does bot kits, so I’d be interested to know if anyone knows of a place to get a Crow kit. I’ll definitely post my findings here about the Servo head comparison.

3 Likes

1.) It’s really hard to source all of the Crow parts yourself. Some of those found pieces have not been in production for decades now. Honestly, you can start with eBay and you might luck out with a few parts, but odds are you’re going to have to go to MST3KBots in the end, regardless.

2.) Finding the base of the Servo head isn’t all that hard. There are loads of gumball machines out there with the right bottom portion, but have a clear football shape instead of a globe. Toss the clear football, and you have the bottom half of your head to build from.

3 Likes

I actually messaged him about his source for the globes the other week, doesn’t look like he’s found an alternative yet sadly.

1 Like

Hm. I emailed him the same question two weeks ago, and he never replied. I’ll try not to take that personally.

1 Like

I also asked him a question about Servo’s doll hands, and he never responded about that. Either he’s pretty selective about who he responds to or when, or he’s working on other projects.

1 Like

He’s working on projects. I ordered a Servo from him in May and it hasn’t shipped yet. I emailed him and he shared that he has been asked to make bots for the show, so he is very behind with Etsy stuff.

3 Likes

Ah, that explains it. Hopefully he also starts selling Crow parts again too, the hands and soap dish are the only things I haven’t been able to source.

1 Like