Sourcing Servo’s clear globe

I got curious about Tom’s globe so I did some searching. Found a place that makes the gumball machine that looks just like Tom’s on Alibaba.com called Kwang Hsieh Industries. Unfortunately they only sell large quantities. Minimum order is 3000 units. So, I guess good news that someone is still making them. I just wonder who is selling them. Might be a good lead to find a vendor. Here’s a pic of what they are selling. (I do notice a link where you can buy a sample so maybe they will sell a small order by just getting a sample).

6 Likes

wouldn’t a scuffed dome be apt?

best of luck finding a replacement​:facepunch::beers:

1 Like

I sent an enquiry through their website, I’ll see what the response is.

4 Likes

This would be quite a find, if they sell samples at a reasonable price.

2 Likes

Okay, I just located this web page that might possibly sell the gumball machines at a more reasonable quantity. Gumball Machine Candy Dispenser with Gumballs | Everything Branded USA Good luck to all who are searching.

3 Likes

Went on the phone with them just now. Minimum quantity is 48, which is pretty good. They can also be ordered blank, which is a plus. Asked for photos to be sent, hopefully they’re the right kind.

3 Likes

In the picture I was sent they have the gumball machine with the sideways seam as well. Rats. On the bright side, it’s about $570, which is still fairly cheap.

2 Likes

This leads me to believe that the type with the black tab has stopped being manufactured in China. Not good.

1 Like

Aw, that’s really a shame. It’s a pity these merchants don’t have a correct images for their product online. Rather deceptive or just lazy. Fortunately MST3Kbots is still a good source for kits.

1 Like

Sadly MST3KBots has also had to resort to using these globes as well. Hopefully we’ll be able to find a way to fabricate the correct globes.

2 Likes

My globe cracked several years ago. At this point, I will take any properly-sized globe, regardless of seam placement.

2 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one having trouble tracking down one of these. I must be getting old because it seems like just yesterday you could find boxes of carousel snack dispenses stacked in every candy shop you’d go in to.

1 Like

Has anyone looked into having the globes reverse engineered?

Ran across this company and it looks like they may be able to replicate the globe if we send them a sample one. I don’t know how much it would cost, but may be worth checking out. I have an original snack dispenser, but part of the plastic under the lid is broken off so I doubt it would be usable for this process.

6 Likes

Okay people. I emailed the company and sent a picture to see if we can get the globes reproduced. I also asked what the minimum quantity is and if the sample sent in would be harmed in any way. If they can deal with the small piece missing from the lip on mine, I’d be willing to send it in as the sample for the greater benefit of MSTie kind. Don’t expect much though.

5 Likes

I also have a globe, albeit a damaged one. I’m part of the bot builders Facebook group, I’ll let them know about your plans and see if any of them can help.

2 Likes

I thought I’d also post this here for those who are very desperate. This is the company that manufactured the original Carousel Snack Dispensers. They have a contact page, so it’s worth a shot.

5 Likes

Looks a few chinese companies are claiming to manufacture this item. This one looks like minimum 100 for “$2.7” each. It’s just that someone would have to take the risk that they are legit.

6 Likes

Just imagining 100 Servo heads. Drop shipment of a couple of pallets? Individual boxes? I wonder what percentage would be damaged?

4 Likes

How is Alternaversal sourcing their heads?

5 Likes

@Lesley and @ivan,
Is there a chance you could convince Alternaversal’s bot builder to set up a store within the Gizmoplex that sells parts, kits, and/or complete bots? Just a thought.

4 Likes