speedrun the badges!

I see there’s a share button under all of the replies (at the very bottom of the page, rather, not the link icon that every reply also has under itself). Nothing I did with it garnered any badges so far.

7 Likes

Here’s my current hypothesis, though I can’t test it:

1. Use the link/share button under the post to generate a link. That link contains your user info.
  2. Post the link somewhere else—Twitter, Reddit, whatever. Your user info in the link should let Discourse know that you’ve shared it out in the world when it’s used.
  3. Have a forum member who is not you click on the link.

I tried this myself, but since I’m me …

EDIT: I made this work by creating a 2nd forum account and having that one logged in when I followed the link from another site. If your post is public, you can work in pairs instead of going to the trouble of setting up a dummy account.

6 Likes

I’m at a loss to about the Reader badge, too. The requirements are stated clearly, but the implementation seems to be strange and ineffable. I’m mean, I read two whole 100 reply posts and still got no badge. All those haikus!

7 Likes

I tried that using an email invite to create a new dummy account on the forums. Didn’t work, nuked the dummy account after trying a couple of link exchanges either way. My theory is that this badge may have been initially enabled, but was disabled before the wider beta test began.

6 Likes

The Reader badge seems to be tied to the speed you scroll through the thread. You can’t just scroll down and get to the end. it has to be slow enough to appear as though you are reading, which can be hard with haikus. :slight_smile: It’s a theory.

10 Likes

They should rename it to the Slow Contemplator badge.

10 Likes

I think you got to wait for that blue dot to fade for a post to count as read.

In other news: I got that “Out of Love” badge earlier today! Rather proud of that one.

9 Likes

@TheBindingPolymer
I think you have to register each post on the little 1/100 counter at the bottom…really short posts tend to get skipped over while scrolling through a thread.

7 Likes

Hey @discobot! Tell me more about these blue dots.

7 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

6 Likes

Hoo boy here goes, replying to a topic with muh email. I guess everybody gonna see my email signature now. No turning back. First Reply By Email badge here I come!..

http://bindingpolymer.com
— Home of MST3K Fanvid and Live-performance Database, The —

8 Likes

Woo, it worked!

I set my preferences to get all the emails and eventually I got some. Looks like that’s how it works. Just reply to one of the emails with your email. Though you don’t get the fancy formatting controls when you do that. I suppose you just have to remember the tags and type them in manually. Could be dangerous if you have personal info in your signature or you forget that it’s a public forum. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Let me try.

Click this Link!

4 Likes

@Starman Boop

4 Likes

Deal with it, pasty boy!

4 Likes

In my best Professor Farnsworth: Good news, everyone!

First Share works … it just takes a really long time to show up (see below; it just popped up in my notifications almost a day later.) Please see this post above for how to do it.

8 Likes

Ahh, so the short version is you have to share a post to some other social media. Hmm, I don’t really play in any social media. But at least I know what it does now. :slight_smile: Nice investigative work.

7 Likes

Now I’m wondering if it would work if you create a link and email it to someone. Discourse should still (maybe?) recognize that as incoming traffic linked to one’s username.

6 Likes

So…I shared a poot to Facebook…now what do I do…?

6 Likes

tell us where so we can click on it

5 Likes