SPOILER DISCUSSION: Episode 1307, Gamera Vs. Jiger

Previous spoiler discussion threads:

Santo in the Treasure of Dracula
Robot Wars
Beyond Atlantis
Munchie
Doctor Mordrid
Demon Squad

Here is your spoiler discussion thread for all things Gamera Vs. Jiger!

This is your destination for discussing your thoughts and opinions about the movie and the episode in general, its host segment and theater segments, your favorite quotes and riffs, etc.

Like the discussion threads that I’ve linked to above, this thread is about discussing the episode openly, so you don’t have to blur your spoilers here.

If you haven’t had the opportunity to see this episode just yet, you’ll want to avoid this thread!

10 Likes

Repost of what I said about this on Reddit:

This is the first movie I saw this season that I thought was just boring. It wasn’t cheesy, it wasn’t silly, it was just boring. Those fights were so repetitive and lasted forever and the whole “kids know better than adults” things in these movies is just stupid and annoying.

I mean they did as good a job as they could riffing it but man, that was so dull.

3 Likes

This episode does have the distinction of featuring an unedited movie for MST3K. Do you think that more judicious editing of the movie would have helped the episode in your opinion?

9 Likes

I think the only thing I found disappointing about this episode was that it wasn’t a Joel episode. After having watched so many other Gamera films, it would have been like Joel squaring off with an old foe of sorts. That being said, that is the most minor of gripes. Jonah and the bots watched Reptilicus and Yongary so it kinda fits them as well.

17 Likes

Yeah, when the episodes for this season were announced, one of my hopes was that Joel would continue to be the sole foil for Gamera’s antics.

Like you said, it’s only a minor gripe, because it feels like Jonah and his team have acquitted themselves well here in tackling the movie.

There is that! And this seems like even more of a passing of the torch to the next generation of riffing, no?

9 Likes

Jiger is a very thematically unfocused monster as far as I can tell. I feel like the others are “bat monster” and “sword monster” and this was sort of “devil monster” but his powers were horns and jet gills and heat ray (or… sound ray?) and created Gamera impreg fanfic in real life. It’s… too much, particularly for a movie that is weirdly not as interesting as the weird-ass monster.

14 Likes

Usually, I find that I enjoy an episode more when the movie is somewhat watchable. Like if I can follow the story, I’m less likely to zone out. I think the riffs were funny, and the story was semi-coherent. So even if the movie was boring, the riffs were not. Still though, I’m not sure you can claim that a movie that depicts two boys taking a submarine into the mouth of a giant turtle isn’t cheesy! lol

12 Likes

Heh, that summation of Gamera’s foes kinda reminds of the Cheat Commandos thing from Homestar Runner.

“Buy all our playsets and toys!”

12 Likes

Another predominating thought about this episode: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I FREAKING SCREAMED AT MY LAPTOP WHEN THIS HAPPENED

The 'Bots saying “She’ll - be - fine,” is (possibly?) reassuring, but I don’t think another MST3K host segment freaked me out as much.

And that includes the Super Freak-Out from Hercules Against the Moon Men!

10 Likes

Bonus points for the bag of food for the Giant Brain featuring the words “BRAIN FOOD”, though.

13 Likes

Was this the first post-episode discussion without Joel? Look at how these peeps can hold their own!

4 Likes

There was the post-episode discussion for Doctor Mordrid, which featured Matt McGinnis, Emily Marsh, Kelsey Ann Brady, Tim Ryder, and screenwriter C. Courtney Joyner.

EDIT: It doesn’t look like Joel took part in the Munchie Support Group™.

2 Likes

Munchie is the one episode this season I didn’t put money directly toward yet. But yeah. being absent 3 out of 7 it’s not as special as I thought it was…

3 Likes

Yup. 「大魔獣ジャガー」(see Japanese text on the title card in the post) means “giant devil monster jaigā”

11 Likes

Not every day a guy gets to direct a giant brain eating his missus.

8 Likes

My review is up:

5 Likes

Hah! I hadn’t considered that.

The conversations involving the direction of that scene must have been a HOOT.

8 Likes

Honestly, no. I wouldn’t call any Gamera episode exciting, but this was excruciating.

2 Likes

And swordhaver is all like “Jigerbert isn’t even a good commando name”

4 Likes

I will say, “your move, Charles Darwin” was hilarious and brilliant.

13 Likes