SPOILER DISCUSSION: Episode 1307, Gamera Vs. Jiger

That is a siren’s song that sings to me.

4 Likes

I thought this was one of the best and funniest episodes of the season to date, up there with SANTO and BEYOND ATLANTIS. It seemed like the writers didn’t want to let Gamera down, and brought their A-games. Susan’s bloodthirstiness, Gamera’s Broadway solo, and especially that Irish punk funeral song all utterly slayed me. Every sketch landed, and the movie, to me, was that unique brand of terrible that made it funny in its own right.

I mean: “It’s OK, young children, go out unsupervised to see the giant atomic monsters fight! You’ll be safe now that the giant rocket-powered turtle has shown up” is just legendarily bad parenting. With lines like that, who needs riffs?

11 Likes

Turtle Meat is Comfort Food.

Riffing another Gamera movie is MST3K as it gets.

8 Likes

The scene where Gamera walks for like 5 minutes straight and the camera pans left following him as Jonah and the bots sing to this “Disney princess” type scene where Gamera is sorrowful that he is a friend to all children and yet who gives him friendship, was a beautiful, beautiful thing.

This movie was dieja-vu in it’s fight scenes, and silly in it’s plot, but the riffs were comedic gold.

One of the most enjoyable episodes I’ve seen to date.

12 Likes

I’m late bc of COVID, but this one was really, really strong. Much better than Yongary.

The brutal kaiju puppet violence throughout was insane. Woof.

7 Likes

Speediest of recoveries to you, skemlo, and all the best.

4 Likes

This episode was riffing gold it should be available to download today.

5 Likes

The gamera link is up to download! The new short is also available to view!

5 Likes

Just watched this one now, I’m a little behind :wink: But I think I speak for everyone when I say I completely approve making this one longer and not cutting anything - where could you cut? The whole thing is GOLD!!! This season has been a lot of fun and every episode has been pretty strong, but there’s been some standouts too and this is definitely one of them!

9 Likes

If you told me during the interview that you were part of that, I’d immediately lower my offer. :black_heart:

2 Likes

Did anyone else notice that the actor playing the chieftain of Wester Island was the driven-mad guy from Genocide/War Of The Insects (as seen on Cinematic Titanic)?

Also, I think the guy in charge of the Yellow Hat dock workers was the same guy in charge of the road-building work crew in Gamera vs Gyaos. The guy has a niche.

2 Likes