Santo in the Treasure of Dracula
Robot Wars
Beyond Atlantis
Munchie
Doctor Mordrid
Demon Squad
Gamera vs Jiger
The Batwoman

Here’s your discussion thread for spoiler-infused musings on The Million Eyes of Sumuru!

This is the place to discuss and meditate on all points of MST3K Episode 1309: host segments, theater segments, the quotes, the riffs, the movie, all of it!

Remember: this is a spoiler discussion thread, so all points of discussion will not be spoiler-blurred. If you haven’t seen the episode, you’ll want to turn back now!

Regardless of how many eyes were actually in the movie, let’s go!

7 Likes

I said this in the livestream thread and will say it here too:
Su Muru’s group felt like the mirror universe version of Batwoman’s (Wild World) group.

13 Likes

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Darkest Timeline Batwoman Group!

9 Likes

My thoughts on 1309:

• A very oily Swinin’ Sixties rollercoaster ride. As an MST’d subject, it definitely works here.
  • The riffing is very, very good! The movie is constantly throwing something in their direction, Jonah and The Bots know how to react to it!
  • Delightful Host Segments! Really liked the one with all the acronyms!
  • Have to give a special shoutout to the Host Segment featuring Jonah, Emily, Joel and, of course, MAGIC VOICE! What a treat that was!
  • “Supervillainesses” was great! Say it again: Season 13 is really bringing the tunes this year!
  • Pitch perfect Stinger! Arguably, the biggest “wha?” moment in a movie loaded with them.
  • Beyond Atlantis is still holding the top spot but The Million Eyes of Su-Maru is a fun romp that I enjoyed very much!
  • Favorite riff: Servo: “What? He’s riffing himself?!” (I shared the same reaction towards Frankie’s “quip” about if he should sing)
10 Likes

I love the bit with the acronyms. Also, on the movie, part of me gets the feeling that the central premise could have been very interesting and well done …if not for the frankly disappointing casual sexism. …which to be fair, is also kind of what I thought of The Wild Wild World of Batwoman. Huh.

6 Likes

Sumuru as a character was created because the BBC wanted a radio drama in 1945 from Sax Rohmer and Fu Manchu would be offensive to our Chinese allies. So, yeah. We’re just gone for cultural appropriation instead, it seems.

4 Likes

You know, unless I missed it, the Acronym sketch would have been the perfect spot for an Agent for HARM callback.

6 Likes

…alright then. I see this would a lot more salvaging.

2 Likes

In reading through the comments during the premiere, I was surprised that ArtCrow was the only one to point out the Maciste ‘MyCheeseSteak’ movie poster, who was the main character in Experiment #605 Colossus and the Headhunters. You can see it at around the 19:19 mark of the regular episode.

10 Likes

Great episode but not helped by the movie itself. For a film about a swingin’ group of evil lady spies, it’s all rather dull. Like about as sexist as expected with not a lot of fun to offset it and ladies attracted to… like… the worst dudes.

“The meme!”

6 Likes

That was a neat thing Matt did comparing with the KTMA version.
I noticed the movie footage was edited differently. I wonder if that was editing to the KTMA print, the work of our modern era editors, or both.

3 Likes

Oh no, I was expecting sexism, but I wasn’t expecting “every woman will instantly give up their nefarious plans in the presence of George Nader.”

8 Likes

Right? Like there are some men, questionable, problematic men, where I get it because they might have charm. I’m talkin’ about Connery. But George Nader? This guy?

And look, he was actually a (generically) handsome dude.

But by the time of this movie he’s giving off the blandest white dude vibes. And also women fall for him INSTANTLY. Barely looking at him. He doesn’t even make a sound. They just want to jam their lips into his as if to do otherwise meant they would melt into a goo puddle or something. It’s darn wild.

8 Likes

It’s like it’s a D&D game where the DM is lax and the Rogue is minmaxing his Charisma stat.

4 Likes

There must have been a lot of Klaus Kinski edited out. This is from IMDB:

According to director Lindsay Shonteff in a 1994 interview, Klaus Kinski had numerous ideas for unusual behavior exhibited by his character President Boong, including that whenever someone entered a room where he was he would climb out from underneath a huge pile of cushions and that whenever he was talking to a pretty girl an abnormally long tongue would emerge from his mouth and try to lick her face. Sadly none of these made the final cut, but if you watch carefully you can see his tongue starting to come out in some scenes.

4 Likes

I wonder if any of that footage still exists, though I get why they didn’t go with it.

3 Likes

My review is up for those interested:

4 Likes

In my opinion, this ep of the new season felt the most “at home”. That is, I really felt the soul of the original run in this episode moreso than the others thus far.
I can’t put my finger on exactly why; it just does.

8 Likes

My my, that is very bizarre! This was an odd movie, but that level of strangeness would be out of place.

3 Likes

I felt the exact same way!

2 Likes