SPOILERS: Your thoughts on Dr. Mordrid?

Shimmy shimmy hypnotize! Shimmy shimmy tize!

2 Likes

Yeah. You think he’d have it tied to his arm or keep it in his pocket or something, but I guess wizardry demands you keep your amulet out and easy for police detectives to snatch.

1 Like

I’m enjoying the rhythm the season is getting into (Munchie brought down the house for me), I do have 2 thoughts:

I like Cabal, with Baron in the role it brings back the older tradition of villain-bot double duty, and I think he has good chemistry with Felicia/Kinga and Patton/Max

I would like to see more “jokes about the famous actors/recurring production people.” By Yucca Flats, Mike and the Bots knew to fear Coleman. Joel and the Bots had Robert Lippert, and both ran into Corman and Bert I Gordon. I liked how you could tell the riffers knew a little about the more famous producers and I would think Emily or Jonah might be aware of the Full Moon reputation. I’m not asking that they be film buffs but it was weird how few shots were taken at such an infamous schlock figure like Charlie Band, or how no one makes a JLH joke in Munchie.

All this being said, I’m very happy to see this mk 3 revival getting into motion, the cast is very solid and the riffing and writing has so developed since that first Reptilicus debut. I quibble about the bots being less mobile (I’m more for animated motion, even if the puppetness is more obvious) but I’m definitely enjoying this season. Seems to confirm my theory they had it figured out by the end of the Gauntlet.

3 Likes

I think it works by Hitchhiker’s Guide rules: If they ever have it ask figured out, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

3 Likes

I’ve seen this video. They play basketball

1 Like

I think this episode cursed my apartment. Ever since it premiered my garbage disposal has been on the fritz. DAMN YOU, DOCTOR MORDRID, YOU NEGLIGENT LANDLORD, DAMN YOU!

5 Likes

Doctor Mordrid: Able to break garbage disposals with a magical spell.

Not fix them though. Too many incantations for that one and it can easily jack up time and space like Spider-Man: No Way Home. You’re on your own.

2 Likes

Garbage disposals are always on the fritz. My landlord had all ours taken out years ago.

3 Likes

Our compost bin’s door busted after 20 years of loyal service. We just keep duct-taping it back into place. :grin: (The worms could not care less so long as the jays and crows can’t get to them.)

2 Likes

I really enjoyed this episodes. As they said, for a B movie from a C studio on a D budget, it’s not half bad.

I also want to say that I love Kelsey. For the 2nd time this season she’s had me burst out laughing. “You sank my Africa” absolutely blindsided me. :joy: Plus her comments during the knock off super heroes segment of the Q&A were hilarious. She seems really adept at spontaneous humor.

But the whole cast was great, and the episode was solid entertainment.

9 Likes

This is the strongest episode of the season so far! Some really strong riffs! This crew is really great. The writing is fantastic.

My favourite Riff is “Paging Dr. Awesome! You’re wanted on the Nailed It phone!”

So happy with this season!!

9 Likes

So, Dr. Mordrid is actually a good movie. Great cast of character actors, including Jeffrey Combs! And I think the MST3K episode is good! A fun time, with some great jokes. I think this episode might thread the needle pretty well in making jokes about the film that is actually pretty good. But this is also why I think Munchie might be the better episode overall, because there is such a strong visceral reaction to just how bad Munchie is. In other words, it’s a bit of a tough choice to decide between Dr. Mordrid and the MST3K version now, because I really love the former, so it’s hard to watch a different version!

Also they edited out a bunch of great lines from Mordrid because of swearing, which is a shame. The movie has some great ones!

9 Likes

Maybe they were doing a podcast about murders in the building and this came up previously

6 Likes

Did they base this show off that podcast?

3 Likes

What’s weird is that I don’t think it’s legally possible to rent a place in NYC and not know who the landlord is. Most buildings are owned through an LLC, and they often use a PO box as their given address. But the owner of the LLC is still public record and you have to have some knowledge of whose contract you’re signing and whom you can contact with problems and complaints. (In fact, to start an LLC in NYC you have to advertise in a local paper for several weeks that you intended to start it and it’s going to be for this purpose, and while those ads are running people can contact the city government to lodge an objection.) The landlord can use a management company, but you have to have the management company’s contact information and they still have to specify for whom they are managing the building.

Maybe if the building is just at that point in the process of changing hands, you could have a brief period where the tenants don’t know? And so they’d be talking about that with each other for a while? Even that seems unlikely.

2 Likes

I get the feeling no one really tried that hard to find out who was behind the company they sent their rent checks to.

Also, actual property regulations don’t always apply in movie-land.

4 Likes

To be fair, he’s a sorcerer who has lived in the building for 100 years. He’s almost certainly the original owner from when it was first constructed. Property laws were different back then. And he’s got magic. I suppose it’s possible he’d find a way to keep it all a mystery.

4 Likes

Heh, definitely a good dilemma to have!

And welcome to the forums! :smiley:

4 Likes

You are leaving something out: Dr. Mordrid has magic powers. He magics the building into existence so he doesn’t need to own anything.

3 Likes

Indeed, welcome! And no reason you have to choose. You can enjoy both, each on its own terms!

As for Mordrid’s building ownership… New theory.

City records have an opaque filing deep in the dusty archives from back in the days when the city government was actually run from the notoriously corrupt Tammany Hall. There’s a building permit that maybe has Mordrid’s name on it somewhere, but no substantive information. And that record has never been updated. The building has never changed hands. It just exists, and some nebulous shell company handles all the taxes and paperwork. Obviously, the guy who built it 100 years ago couldn’t still be around. But no one can find out anything about him or what happened after he died. There are no pictures of him. All of this is functionally pre-internet, so you’d have to go to the public library to manually search through 100 years of newspaper articles on microfilm, and you still wouldn’t find anything.

Some of the tenants have just accepted this. But some can’t help but wonder. And when you need something taken care of (like your non-existent garbage disposal), all you can do is mail a letter to the PO box and hope that someone reads it. So it’s just this frustrating nagging mystery with no leads. So of course there would be this constant undercurrent of “We don’t know who the landlord is” that keeps popping up every time there’s an issue, and there would be nothing you could do except say that to your neighbor (who knows as much as you do) and then leave it at that because everything else has been said.

4 Likes