STAR TREK You Know It-You Love It-Let's Talk About It!

I grew up watching TNG. The reruns would be on TV after school at around 4 p.m. and I was allowed one hour of TV. So I used that one hour (when I could get the TV over my siblings which wasn’t all the time) to watch TNG. I’ve seen every episode. When I was in high school, my parents got satellite TV (cable was not an option in the boondocks) and one summer they did a special rebroadcast of all TOS episodes with little interviews with the cast. It was great and I really grew to appreciate it. I’ve seen all TOS movies and TNG series.

I tried DS9 but while I could listen to the actor playing Sisko read the phonebook (I love that deep, rich voice), I couldn’t ever completely get into DS9. Never liked Voyager. I watched the first season or two of Enterprise and really enjoyed it, but I was in college and couldn’t afford cable so once that was gone, I didn’t see the rest of it (although from reading the Best and Worst Finale thread I’m not missing much).

I watched the first of the Star Trek reboot with Chris Pine and while I think the casting was great and if you haven’t seen TOS it doesn’t matter who is Kirk and Spock and McCoy you can enjoy it just fine, it just wasn’t right to redo. For all his faults, William Shatner is James T. Kirk. No matter how young and hip you want the show to be, it’s no longer Kirk played by Chris Pine. The other series worked, IMO, because the ST universe is so big and so full of potential that you can easily have different crews, different times and different locales without running out of things to say and do. I’ve never understood why they felt the need to reuse Kirk and the rest in a tangential AU. It bugged me and I haven’t watched any of the others.

So yes, I’m a fan and I love it and I have strong opinions. :smiley:

10 Likes